Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 03-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Cab recommendation.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
I'm very serious, its not as heavy as people think and the sound is out of this world.
The Ampeg 410HLF is a good little cabinet for sure. With a 500W RMS rating and 48Hz-18KHz Frequency Response it can pump. It does weigh 110lbs and has great wheels and tow bar; just be prepared to bend over to pull it though as it is a low profile cab.

If you want a GREAT cabinet with half the weight, go with the Eden 210XST. At 59lbs, 30Hz-14KHz and 500W Power Handling, you cannot beat it. I would challenge anyone to give it a shot, just aint gonna happen, I promise.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Senior Posting Member

Default Cab suggestion.....

Quote:
I'm very serious, its not as heavy as people think and the sound is out of this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Diza View Post
I go through a SWR Redhead with a Schroeder MINI12 extention cabinet. I also have an Ampeg SVT6Pro, which I'm in the market for a real good light weight cab I can match it with. Anybody have any suggestions?
Eden 210XST.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Glenn DiTommaso

Quote:
Glen, could you explain what it is about the Epifani sound that has obvious got you hooked on their line of bass cabs?
Well, I did try (and have owned) a number of different amps and cabs over the years (most recently a Trace Elliot rig from the early 90s), but I guess the main reason I went with the Epifani cabs is because they have been the only ones (to me) that reproduce the same bass sound that I hear in my head. It's hard to describe with words. They just have the tone that I like, especially with the Smith basses. To my ears, the T115 with the UL210 and the 502 amp reproduces that tone I've always wanted to hear. The T115 is a little bit heavy, but the UL series cabs are so easy to move, which is a plus.

There are a lot of great cabs available from many high quality builders, and to say which is better or worse (to me) is pointless, because it's whatever works best for the individual player. I've found that the Epifani line just speaks to me. The Walter Woods with the UL112 is a great compact rig, although I've read that some don't like the WW amps with the UL cabs. Again, all very subjective, but it works well for me.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Back-UP Bass Head

Being that I utilize the Ampeg SVT Classic all Tube Bass head I thought it wise to invest in a back-up head, for the times I need to have my tube head serviced. I decided on the Ampeg B2RE.

The Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head cranks out 450W of solid state thunder at 4 ohms, 250W at 8 ohms. 3-band rotary and 9-band graphic equalizers let you hone in on the perfect sound for your style. 1/4" and Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, XLR balanced line out, preamp out/power amp in jacks, and effects loop. And don't forget that killer Ampeg tone!
Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Features:
  • 450W @ 4 ohms, 250W @ 8 ohms
  • 3-band rotary EQ
  • 9-band graphic EQ
  • -15dB input pad
  • Neutrik Speakon and 1/4" speaker outs
  • Preamp out/power amp in
  • XLR balanced line out
  • Effects loop

Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Specifications:
  • 19"D x 3-1/2"H x 15"D
  • 26 lbs.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Ampeg XLR out to house......

Quote:
Being that I utilize the Ampeg SVT Classic all Tube Bass head I thought it wise to invest in a back-up head, for the times I need to have my tube head serviced. I decided on the Ampeg B2RE.

The Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head cranks out 450W of solid state thunder at 4 ohms, 250W at 8 ohms. 3-band rotary and 9-band graphic equalizers let you hone in on the perfect sound for your style. 1/4" and Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, XLR balanced line out, preamp out/power amp in jacks, and effects loop. And don't forget that killer Ampeg tone!
Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Features:
  • 450W @ 4 ohms, 250W @ 8 ohms
  • 3-band rotary EQ
  • 9-band graphic EQ
  • -15dB input pad
  • Neutrik Speakon and 1/4" speaker outs
  • Preamp out/power amp in
  • XLR balanced line out
  • Effects loop
Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Specifications:
  • 19"D x 3-1/2"H x 15"D
  • 26 lbs.
Albert, I'm curious, on your Ampegs (ID which one), do you have a Line Output Level control? If so and if you use it, how effective/strong is that signal +/- Adj. to the house running an XLR Line Out?

On my SVT III Pro head, the Line Output Level IMO is weak at best. For the sake of comparison, my Eden heads have an Output Level send and they are anything but weak! XLR sends out of the back of these amps with any +/- adjustment to Output Level is significant (pre or post EQ)!

What has your experience been with the Ampegs?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Albert, I'm curious, on your Ampegs (ID which one), do you have a Line Output Level control? If so and if you use it, how effective/strong is that signal +/- Adj. to the house running an XLR Line Out?

On my SVT III Pro head, the Line Output Level IMO is weak at best. For the sake of comparison, my Eden heads have an Output Level send and they are anything but weak! XLR sends out of the back of these amps with any +/- adjustment to Output Level is significant (pre or post EQ)!

What has your experience been with the Ampegs?
I mainly run stock, meaning I never run through the house system or even a stationary board. My reasoning for this currently is because the board we have at our church and the speaker system installed is shall I say less than desirable, so I mainly run direct. Sorry my friend.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Clarification...

Quote:
I mainly run stock, meaning I never run through the house system or even a stationary board. My reasoning for this currently is because the board we have at our church and the speaker system installed is shall I say less than desirable, so I mainly run direct. Sorry my friend.
I'm confused. You said you "never run through the house" but then say you say you "mainly run direct"??? If you are running "direct" than I would interpret that to be, running out (i.e. XLR out) to the house.

I think what I am hearing you say is that, you let the Cab carry the house, correct?

Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
I'm confused. You said you "never run through the house" but then say you say you "mainly run direct"??? If you are running "direct" than I would interpret that to be, running out (i.e. XLR out) to the house.

I think what I am hearing you say is that, you let the Cab carry the house, correct?
No sir, not at all I must be more specific when I'm speaking with my brother who is so techno literate, in essence I run directly from my axe into my SVT Classic Bass head into my Bass cabs.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Ok, I think....

Quote:
No sir, not at all I must be more specific when I'm speaking with my brother who is so techno literate, in essence I run directly from my axe into my SVT Classic Bass head into my Bass cabs.

Ok, I think we are on the same page now. If you ever get a chance to run XLR out to the house, please let me know how strong the Output Level send is out of the Ampeg.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Ok, I think we are on the same page now. If you ever get a chance to run XLR out to the house, please let me know how strong the Output Level send is out of the Ampeg.
No question consider it done, I'm hoping that our place of worship upgrades it's sound system this year. It really needs to the equipment isn't really that bad, it's just the way it's currently arraigned that's not appealing sound wise to me. Oh by the way here's a shot of my 6 string Kens currently repairing the neck on, I coped this off of eBay but it had some neck issues. I'm praying Ken can restore it without destroying my wallet. LOL

Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool 6-String fix....

Quote:
No question consider it done, I'm hoping that our place of worship upgrades it's sound system this year. It really needs to the equipment isn't really that bad, it's just the way it's currently arraigned that's not appealing sound wise to me. Oh by the way here's a shot of my 6 string Kens currently repairing the neck on, I coped this off of eBay but it had some neck issues. I'm praying Ken can restore it without destroying my wallet. LOL

The 6 looks like a 6MW (looks like Ebony front with a Tiger Maple Core - if so, nice wood choice!). What was wrong with the neck? At any rate, you can count on a top-notch job from Ken at a fair price.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
The 6 looks like a 6MW (looks like Ebony front with a Tiger Maple Core - if so, nice wood choice!). What was wrong with the neck? At any rate, you can count on a top-notch job from Ken at a fair price.
The 6 is a CR6 my brother, I know Ken will take good care of the neck for me and my wallet. Hey you get what you pay for and I want my 6 bumpin, so I got to pay the price. The neck had a broken truss rod and the frets were worn down due to someone inadvertently attempting to adjust the neck not realizing the truss rod was not reacting properly.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Not a problem....

Quote:
The 6 is a CR6 my brother, I know Ken will take good care of the neck for me and my wallet. Hey you get what you pay for and I want my 6 bumpin, so I got to pay the price. The neck had a broken truss rod and the frets were worn down due to someone inadvertently attempting to adjust the neck not realizing the truss rod was not reacting properly.
Ken can handle this just fine. Just let him do what he needs to do and when you get it back, it will play like a new bass.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Junior Posting Member

Willie Williams is on a distinguished road

I mainly play Contemporary Gospel. The rig I leave at church is a Thunderfunk head and a Bergantino Ht-322 cabinet. I also have a Walter Woods high power stereo head and another Ht-322. Because my church is not in the best neighborhood I prefer not to leave the Walter Woods there. (Yes in Cleveland Ohio some sick people do break into churches.)
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Sick people....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williams View Post
I mainly play Contemporary Gospel. The rig I leave at church is a Thunderfunk head and a Bergantino Ht-322 cabinet. I also have a Walter Woods high power stereo head and another Ht-322. Because my church is not in the best neighborhood I prefer not to leave the Walter Woods there. (Yes in Cleveland Ohio some sick people do break into churches.)

Hi Willie, by the way, I am actually from Dayton, Ohio.

I would never leave my gear any place I played. Unfortunetly, there are thieves all around us, inside and outside of Church, but you are among the wiser to protect your gear accordingly.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Gareth Morgan is on a distinguished road

I used to use this:

But I have recently gone to this as a more versatile, lighter, simpler rig:

Still Epifani though - won't use anything else now.

Cheers

Gareth
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Nice rig, but man I love that quilt!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Junior Posting Member

Gareth Morgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
Nice rig, but man I love that quilt!
I know. It's a stunning bass.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Amp used - Alembix F1X/Trace Elliot V-type and Bag End Speakers

I generally use the Alembic F1X preamp, but I also have a Trace Elliot V-Type pre amp. Both have that creamy tube tone. The V-types are underrated. For speakers, I use Bag End 2x10 and a 4x10 both with the coaxial speaker. For extra bottom I use a custom speaker Nahas - 1x15 and horn - wedge shape cabinet; and pointing directly up at me - like a monitor speaker - but for the bass!

Once in a while I connect them all together - spread the all over the room with long cablies - it's just too much - and it sounds so full and clean. I got that multiple speaker idea from and old guitar-player magazine article form 1983 - multiple speakers really works well for balancing out the sound of the bass - if you are not going through the PA.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
I generally use the Alembic F1X preamp, but I also have a Trace Elliot V-Type pre amp. Both have that creamy tube tone. The V-types are underrated. For speakers, I use Bag End 2x10 and a 4x10 both with the coaxial speaker. For extra bottom I use a custom speaker Nahas - 1x15 and horn - wedge shape cabinet; and pointing directly up at me - like a monitor speaker - but for the bass!

Once in a while I connect them all together - spread the all over the room with long cablies - it's just too much - and it sounds so full and clean. I got that multiple speaker idea from and old guitar-player magazine article form 1983 - multiple speakers really works well for balancing out the sound of the bass - if you are not going through the PA.
Chris, that's HOT, I like that idea of the multiple speakers I got to try that out. Your avatar photo, what type of Bass is that? I know its at least a 6 or is it a 7.
Al Smith