Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Junior Posting Member

Radomir Polivka is on a distinguished road
Default G string to mix with Original Flatchrome set

First of all a happy new year to everyone.

This forum is the best resource when it comes to all 50 shades of Pirastro Flexocores, so I would like to ask you for little advice. I am happy with Original Flatchromes on my bass except the G string which is very bright and not really usable with the rest of the set. I suspect the G string was faulty but as I read on this forum, OFC G tend to be bright even when the string is manufactured well. So instead of buying a new single Original Flatchrome G I am looking for another G string to complement the set. What do you recommend? From this forum I understand Flexocore Stark G or Original Flexocore G should be close to Original Flatchrome. Is there any recent model that should be considered as well (e.g. Kaplan)?

So far, I tried Evah Pirazzi, Flexocor DeLuxe, Permanent and Belcanto G. All of them are usable, but none of them matches the OFC sound colour which I would describe as "dry", "woody", sometimes almost "sandy". Also they require less bow pressure.

The bass is a plain pre-war Czech flatback (Schoenbach), 107cm string length. Used only for arco in orchestra range (i.e. only a few semitones above octave).

Thank you for any input. It will be really appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210103_115448_resized_20210103_011219327.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	3857  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210103_115502_resized_20210103_011219017.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	3858  
Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir Polivka View Post
First of all a happy new year to everyone.

This forum is the best resource when it comes to all 50 shades of Pirastro Flexocores, so I would like to ask you for little advice. I am happy with Original Flatchromes on my bass except the G string which is very bright and not really usable with the rest of the set. I suspect the G string was faulty but as I read on this forum, OFC G tend to be bright even when the string is manufactured well. So instead of buying a new single Original Flatchrome G I am looking for another G string to complement the set. What do you recommend? From this forum I understand Flexocore Stark G or Original Flexocore G should be close to Original Flatchrome. Is there any recent model that should be considered as well (e.g. Kaplan)?

So far, I tried Evah Pirazzi, Flexocor DeLuxe, Permanent and Belcanto G. All of them are usable, but none of them matches the OFC sound colour which I would describe as "dry", "woody", sometimes almost "sandy". Also they require less bow pressure.

The bass is a plain pre-war Czech flatback (Schoenbach), 107cm string length. Used only for arco in orchestra range (i.e. only a few semitones above octave).

Thank you for any input. It will be really appreciated.

I think you should try the Stark 92 G or even use G and D 92..
Old 01-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thank you, Ken. It won't be easy to get a single Stark 92 G here in Czechia / Germany. I tried normal/medium 92 G and it was thin, even chocked a little when pressed hard.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thank you, Ken. It won't be easy to get a single Stark 92 G here in Czechia / Germany. I tried normal/medium 92 G and it was thin, even chocked a little when pressed hard.

Call Pirastro. Ask for Adrian Muller. Use my name as a reference. He knows me.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

I really appreciate this. I will give the Stark a try.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Flexocor family G strings

Eventually I got the stark G and a few other G strings of the Flexocor family. The stark G is a beautiful string, it is impossible to get an unpleasant tone out of it. No scratches whatsoever, you can forget about bow technique and just play. It is usable with Original Flat-chrome set, but not a perfect blend with OFC D string (I decided to keep OFC D, as D is what I like of the OFC set most).

I found Original Flexocor G to be closest to Original Flat-chrome G, unfortunatelly it is so close that it suffers from the same problem. Open G is metallic and thin sounding. It sounds nice in higher register however. The rubber ring helps a little with open string harshness but makes it a little harder to start the string. So I ruled Original Flexocor G out.

The second closest string is Flexocor Deluxe G, which blends with OFC D quite well and sounds nice on its own. I tested the whole Deluxe set and liked it. It is a little thicker that ordinary Flexocor, hence no problems with that thin E. It is a little darker than OFC.

Last edited by Radomir Polivka; 02-13-2021 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Eventually I got the stark G and a few other G strings of the Flexocor family. The stark G is a beautiful string, it is impossible to get an unpleasant tone out of it. No scratches whatsoever, you can forget about bow technique and just play. It is usable with Original Flat-chrome set, but not a perfect blend with OFC D string (I decided to keep OFC D, as D is what I like of the OFC set most).

I found Original Flexocor G to be closest to Original Flat-chrome G, unfortunatelly it is so close that it suffers from the same problem. Open G is metallic and thin sounding. It sounds nice in higher register however. The rubber ring helps a little with open string harshness but makes it a little harder to start the string. So I ruled Original Flexocor G out.

The second closest string is Flexocor Deluxe G, which blends with OFC D quite well and sounds nice on its own. I tested the whole Deluxe set and liked it. It is a little thicker that ordinary Flexocor, hence no problems with that thin E. It is a little darker than OFC.

As it is with most string problems, the bass plays a huge role and its adjustments.