Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default Eudoxa solo gauge?

In this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxvE...os=U-vYI8ehz3E video commentary they claim that Rinat Ibragimov is playing Eudoxa solo strings - I'd love to get a set, but I can't see anywhere online that Pirastro even makes such an animal...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool wow..

Nice playing.

Looking at the Strings they seem to be Eudoxa's by the silk colors. Maybe the solo gauge set is a special order? Email Pirastro and ask them.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Senior Posting Member

Yes, he's a pretty amazing player!

I thought they looked like the right color too, but then from some angles I think the spiral looks a little more purple-ish. My Eudoxas are old and dirty, but the spiral looks more on the blue side. Violet, as Pirastro calls it. I think they make some solos that are kind of a red-ish purple spiral so maybe the person commenting was just mistaken...

I'll go send an email and see what they say.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool blue side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Yes, he's a pretty amazing player!

I thought they looked like the right color too, but then from some angles I think the spiral looks a little more purple-ish. My Eudoxas are old and dirty, but the spiral looks more on the blue side. Violet, as Pirastro calls it. I think they make some solos that are kind of a red-ish purple spiral so maybe the person commenting was just mistaken...

I'll go send an email and see what they say.
The Blue over the white are the Original Flat Chromes. Many years ago they used to be called Eudoxa Flat Chrome. They made the Eudoxa in both Gut and steel core. Now they have two different names. To me the color looked dark purple/violet/lavender over the white. I guess you can just wait and see what Pirastro tells you.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Senior Posting Member

That explains it - the ones I have are probably close to ten years old, but clearly gut, so yeah... nice of them to make it good and confusing eh...

I sent off the email to Pirastro and will report back here when I hear from them.

If anybody else knows what's up with these strings though, speak up!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Don't know about the strings, but thanks for posting that link. Beautiful playing!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Lewis is on a distinguished road

Check out that Carcasi on loan from the London Symphony Orchestra. Rinat also owns a Matteo Albani bass, which was a gift from his colleague and friend Alexander Stepanov. If you go to his website you can download all of his beautiful music.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Senior Posting Member

It's been a while and no word from Pirastro about the strings. I've asked a few other people and nobody seems to know if they exist; maybe I'll email Rinat and just ask him - I'm sure he loves getting questions like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
Check out that Carcassi on loan from the London Symphony Orchestra. Rinat also owns a Matteo Albani bass, which was a gift from his colleague and friend Alexander Stepanov. If you go to his website you can download all of his beautiful music.
I didn't see anything about his basses - did I miss something?

The one in this video is impressive, is it the Carcassi?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NS8s...eature=related
Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Carcasi?

Quote:
It's been a while and no word from Pirastro about the strings. I've asked a few other people and nobody seems to know if they exist; maybe I'll email Rinat and just ask him - I'm sure he loves getting questions like that...

I didn't see anything about his basses - did I miss something?

The one in this video is impressive, is it the Carcassi?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NS8s...eature=related
The Bass looks a bit British or even early French like Pillement Pere especially with those FFs. It sounds like old French as well to my ear. I have only seen maybe 2 real Carcassi basses in person. One was small and one was cut, the model they all copy now, the cut shouldered model. Maybe this is a real un-cut Carcassi? I don't really know. His strings on that bass look like Belcantos!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Posting Member

Maybe one of our monitors is on the fritz but that silk doesn't look orange to me - I was wondering what those might be, because to me they look like a dark wine red color. I was thinking they were flexocores. Hmmm.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool humm

Quote:
Maybe one of our monitors is on the fritz but that silk doesn't look orange to me - I was wondering what those might be, because to me they look like a dark wine red color. I was thinking they were flexocores. Hmmm.
Ok, but they look closer to Bel's to me, slightly dull orange than Flex 92s on my screen. Maybe ask him this along with the Eudoxa question.

On the Carcassi question, the bass in the first link vid playing Back with the Eudoxa's, THAT looks like it might be a Carsassi. The small one I saw years ago was more like that.

On the mention of the Albani Bass, look at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd vids. That would be the Albani between the 3 basses we have seen him with so far.

A few other things I noticed on the Master Class Vid was the black bow hair, bridge without adjusters and a straight steel adjustable end pin. The magic is all in the playing!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

A1 = 1,54mm
E2 = 1,82mm
H3B = 2,22mm
Fis4 = 2,55mm

As quoted by Pirastro in an e-mail from one year ago.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Lewis is on a distinguished road
Default The "Carcassi"

Sorry to be off topic again.

The bass in the Bach videos is labeled, "Lorenzo Carcassi Fec. Dalla Madonna de Ricci in Firence, Anno 1765", but is thought to be made towards the end of the eighteenth century. Keep in mind Carcassi died in 1775. If you want to learn more about the instrument I found a great article.

http://www.krattenmacher.com/publica..._carcassi.html
Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

That's a nice write-up on the bass. Interesting instrument... Thanks for posting it!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Still no real clue on what those solo strings are, and Pirastro apparently does not respond to email regarding bass strings. I guess it is a real exclusive market that doesn't require customer service.

Anybody want to start a string company? I think there might just be a market.

Anyway, I've seen some more of Rinat's videos, and the strings look, to me, to have the same color silks as the chromesteel solos. But, they sound like gut to me, and someone who seems to know repeatedly claims in the commentary that he plays "Eudoxa" strings.

Maybe it is a European thing? I dunno... But I like Eudoxas (that we get here in USA) and would sure like a solo set...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Unhappy

ok, still no word from Pirastro on this. But -

I don't think the strings in the video are Eudoxas, at least as we in the US know them (i.e. gut core, silver wrap). They're the same color silks (white/ruby spiral) as Chromesteels, which do come in a solo set, and to my ear, having just tried some (Chromesteels), could very well be them. Maybe in Europe the strings have different names and/or silk colors? Dunno.

And for the record, at least in the US, Eudoxas (the gut core silver wrap string) and Original Flatchromes both have the same color silks - that is, white with violet spiral.

If Eudoxa (gut) solo strings come across my desk/browser I'll buy them, otherwise AFAIK they don't exist and I'm done trying to find out otherwise.

*Earth to Pirastro* - People like your products and are willing to spend money on premium items like gut strings, but honestly guys - hire a college grad with a basic business degree to get your company working right - and maybe an intern to handle your email or something. Imagine how much money you could make if your customers could understand and actually find your products!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb earth to.. lol

Quote:
ok, still no word from Pirastro on this. But -

I don't think the strings in the video are Eudoxas, at least as we in the US know them (i.e. gut core, silver wrap). They're the same color silks (white/ruby spiral) as Chromesteels, which do come in a solo set, and to my ear, having just tried some (Chromesteels), could very well be them. Maybe in Europe the strings have different names and/or silk colors? Dunno.

And for the record, at least in the US, Eudoxas (the gut core silver wrap string) and Original Flatchromes both have the same color silks - that is, white with violet spiral.

If Eudoxa (gut) solo strings come across my desk/browser I'll buy them, otherwise AFAIK they don't exist and I'm done trying to find out otherwise.

*Earth to Pirastro* - People like your products and are willing to spend money on premium items like gut strings, but honestly guys - hire a college grad with a basic business degree to get your company working right - and maybe an intern to handle your email or something. Imagine how much money you could make if your customers could understand and actually find your products!
Ok, I just emails my contact over there and I will try to get you a direct answer. He will read the thread and reply. Please be patient.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

I just emailed Rinat. See if he responds.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb from Pirastro...

(response time, 43 minutes)

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your mail and I am very sorry about not responding to Thomas’s email.

I don’t know what happened…I got the email from Thomas and forwarded it to our sales department for processing…and probably it got lost. Normally we respond in about 2 to 3 days…so if you didn’t get any answer within that time please resend the email to exclude the possibility of a lost email. Thank you for your understanding and best wishes to Thomas.

Rinat is playing Eudoxa Solo gut strings which we make as a special production. For prices please call your wholesaler.

All best wishes

Adrian

Pirastro GmbH

Adrian Mueller

Technical Director

------------------------------------------------
So call your dealer and they will call your wholesaler.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Well, that clears that up!

And right about now somebody at Pirastro is announcing "Ok - from now on, no more ****** ******* custom strings for ****** ******* artist endorsers - too ******* much headache!!" lol...