Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 08-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Low 'B' to match Perm's..

I started a thread on 'Which 'B'?' some time ago but that was for a different bass which is long gone now.

I just got my *Hofner 5er (*old pics) back from Mike Magee in Pittsburgh and she's beautiful, the Bass, NOT Mike.. lol

It needed a full set-up so I had the Board pulled and replaced, a CF Rod put in the neck to stiffen it, the neck re-carved with the fake flame removed (shows some nice figure now), new bridge with adjusters and new Permanent strings from G to E.

We discussed the Strings and went with Permanents for the G-E but he thinks that the original 'B' a Thomastik 'Precision' solid core is a great sounding string. The previous 4/4 5er I sold ended up with that 'B' as well but a brand new string. The Strings on this bass were the originals from 1977. Although the bass has barely been played, they had been at or near tension for over 30 years now.

So, should I put a Permanent 'B' on there to match or what? The Permanents on there now sound great and Bow nice and smooth.

Also, this bass being a 3/4 Wilfer/Juzek style model (if not an actual Wilfer re-labeled) might be best utilized as a high 'C' 5er rather than an Orchestra 5er with Low 'B' but only time will tell. The bass IS fairly loud so I need to take it out to a rehearsal or two and see what she can do.

With some of the 5s I have had and tried I was able to either move the strings over into wider slots and move the 'B' off to the side to use it as a 4-stringer or just take off the 'B' from the bridge and tighten it back with some foam so it doesn't vibrate and use as a 4 as well. This bass however now has a really wide board and full 27mm spacing each string, same as the average orchestra 4, more or less.

So, keeping it set-up for Orchestra, would a Perm B be the best choice?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Junior Posting Member

Alex Verbree is on a distinguished road

i posted on the other thread about 5 strings, but had another brain fart. Pirastro passiones are nice strings, but they're lower tension so i don't know how you feel about that. i've used the B as a C string with good success.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Passiones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Verbree View Post
i posted on the other thread about 5 strings, but had another brain fart. Pirastro passiones are nice strings, but they're lower tension so i don't know how you feel about that. i've used the B as a C string with good success.
I have them on several basses but they are too soft sounding and feeling I think to match with the other 4 Permanents on the bass. I have on there now a Thomastik Precision B string. Do you know that string? It has a solid core. It's just that it's original with the bass and needs to be changed. I can go with a new one or maybe a Permanent or..? Something else.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Junior Posting Member

Alex Verbree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have them on several basses but they are too soft sounding and feeling I think to match with the other 4 Permanents on the bass. I have on there now a Thomastik Precision B string. Do you know that string? It has a solid core. It's just that it's original with the bass and needs to be changed. I can go with a new one or maybe a Permanent or..? Something else.

I agree on the soft front, it's too soft even for me, someone who enjoys softer feeling strings. another thought could be an Original Flat Chrome. the adjectives used on the pirastro site are similar to the permanents, but it is a firmer string (i have experience with the other 4, of which i liked the E). But I mean, if you like the precision, maybe stick with it. Isn't it a budget string? could be cheaper in the long run, I just have no experience with it.

hope this helps, Ken.

alex
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Verbree View Post
I agree on the soft front, it's too soft even for me, someone who enjoys softer feeling strings. another thought could be an Original Flat Chrome. the adjectives used on the pirastro site are similar to the permanents, but it is a firmer string (i have experience with the other 4, of which i liked the E). But I mean, if you like the precision, maybe stick with it. Isn't it a budget string? could be cheaper in the long run, I just have no experience with it.

hope this helps, Ken.

alex
I think the Precisions ARE the low end steel string they make. I am not looking to save a few dollars for the sound. I think when I order strings next I will get a permanent B and go from there. On some basses, that Perm B is a bit rough sounding as I have tried it before. The E and A sound just fine on this bass so maybe this bass will be good with the B as well. Only way to tell is to try it. Thanks.