Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Handmade Basses

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Ah, that thing sure is a sight. I am generally against brighter varnishes leaning towards blonde or honey, but this piece just melts in your mouth. This one (and Calvin's!!) almost makes me reconsider...

I know what Phil & Sam means... in the beginning, I was also strongly against the carvings, and when I borrowed the Bussetto I would later buy, I was almost a bit, you know, condescending when I spoke about it. I came to terms with it, though... after all, a model like that just wouldn't do very well without it!

(On a side note, if you want to know what's still grinding my gears, it's lion heads on the scroll; or any custon scrolls for that matter. Or, actually, I saw a Ganesha on a cello which was rather cool, and if I was to get myself a rockabilly bass, I wouldn't mind having Woody Woodpecker up there, but generally. That about that.)

if it's a different one I must say they are making better basses than they used to not all that long ago.
I was also under the impression that all Pöllmanns were quality instruments but nothing really special. That was until I got mine, which is from 1982, and I have played other 80's and 70's Pöllmanns of (almost! ) equal quality, but you do indeed have to be wary of some really boring basses out there. I am under the impression that Günther got lots of orders from orchestras and institutions which had to hold tight to their money, leaving him unable to use his best wood or put unlimited amounts of time on some basses, as well as not working in a (supposedly) inspiring relationship with a musician who's making the purchase of his life. His sons, on the other hand, seem to be able to make the most out of almost every bass they make.
Also, many of these basses owned by institutions have been terribly mistreated. I know of *quite* a lot of Pöllmanns (and basses in general) which just yearns for a little bit of love, and a proper restoration. All are mere shadows of themselves. You know that lovely Swedish bass at the Shoppe? I think the Academy that had it sold it for, like, USD2,000. After a detour to Eastern Europe and further violation of a wonderful bass, it is now on sale for about $90k. It's so UNNECESSARY you could cry (I almost do).

Now, I haven't yet tried a new Pöllmann, or any built by the sons. I REALLY want to, but it seems like there aren't many in Scandinavia; most are either conservatory basses or five-stringers owned by orchestras. Has anybody ever tried one of Günther's best ones, and how do they in that case compare to the new ones?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Maybe I ought to post some pics on mine... I've been nagging you too much about it already.

First, a comparison of four Pöllmann's. Guess which is mine.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Junior Posting Member

Geoff Chalmers is on a distinguished road
Default String Length change

Hi Ken,
I'm interested in why you decided to change the string length. I'm using 41.5 and was considering going for 40.5 on my next purchase. Why did you decide to change to 41.5 and were you happy with the results?
Many thanks Geoff
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Chalmers View Post
Hi Ken,
I'm interested in why you decided to change the string length. I'm using 41.5 and was considering going for 40.5 on my next purchase. Why did you decide to change to 41.5 and were you happy with the results?
Many thanks Geoff
The Neck was broken when it came in and also by lengthening the new neck (graft) you also bring up the higher notes closer to the player. Also, the neck stand on new Pollmann basses and most all other new German basses is much lower like 25-30mm out from the top instead of 35-40mm. This way, the shoulders are never in the way and during the new graft job, you can pitch the neck as desired with the neck stand to get a higher bridge as well. This will help clear the bouts easier with the bow as well as produce more power in the sound. My Busetto was just about the best modern Pollmann I had heard. I am sorry that I sold it actually. maybe one day it will come back in trade.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink better late than never.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
Maybe I ought to post some pics on mine... I've been nagging you too much about it already.

First, a comparison of four Pöllmann's. Guess which is mine.

Joel, yours is the middle on in the rack with the bumpers, non Busetto?

oops.. (profile)
Your GearPöllmann Bussetto 1982Ok, the one lying on the floor? 2 more guesses and I will have it!..
Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Junior Posting Member

Geoff Chalmers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Neck was broken when it came in and also by lengthening the new neck (graft) you also bring up the higher notes closer to the player. Also, the neck stand on new Pollmann basses and most all other new German basses is much lower like 25-30mm out from the top instead of 35-40mm. This way, the shoulders are never in the way and during the new graft job, you can pitch the neck as desired with the neck stand to get a higher bridge as well. This will help clear the bouts easier with the bow as well as produce more power in the sound. My Busetto was just about the best modern Pollmann I had heard. I am sorry that I sold it actually. maybe one day it will come back in trade.
Thanks for your reply.
I agree the Pollmann looks fantastic. Very special bass.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Chalmers View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I agree the Pollmann looks fantastic. Very special bass.
The other 2 reasons for making it longer are tone and marketability. Under 41" is considered a short or solo bass. Making it an inch longer also adds depth to the overall sound. That bass was deep and loud. I put some Guts on there and took it to an Orchestra rehearsal. It scared one of the Cello players in front of me.. "What IS that thing" he remarked when he suddenly turned around a few seconds after we started to play.

A very welcomed reaction!