Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Junior Posting Member

morin arnaud is on a distinguished road
Default my pot is broken...

Hi,

I own a Ken Smith bass and the pot of the bass boost is broken, and I was wondering if you know where I can't find one

It's written on it : TB100K 7orT

here is some pictures :

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 9V's

We are still repairing the old 9V's with the original Pot's we had made for them. Some day, we will run out and only be able to sell the new model. I will not know until that day comes if we can still get these made.

The numbers on the back of OEM pots are usually batch numbers referring to when they were made and not a brand or model number. Since these are not made to sell in the retail world, there is no reason to put any kind of generic ID numbers on them.

I have never seen a successful repair with someone using anything other than the exact same pot that we use. I have seen a few basses repaired badly and the hole had to be plugged and re-drilled from using the wrong pot size.

The exact taper, detent and pot value along with shaft length, bushing length and diameter and threads is unique.

Let us know how you do in your search. I am sure the time you spend will cost you more than the cost of shipping on over there with a fresh set of the standard Smith strings to save on overall shipping costs. Door to door in my opinion is cheaper then spending your days and weeks running around.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question also,

The Pot you are showing does not look broken. Is that the one attached to the circuit board that is bad or do you have one off the board that actually broke?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Junior Posting Member

I have one on the board that is broken : here is the picture :

Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
We are still repairing the old 9V's with the original Pot's we had made for them. Some day, we will run out and only be able to sell the new model. I will not know until that day comes if we can still get these made.

The numbers on the back of OEM pots are usually batch numbers referring to when they were made and not a brand or model number. Since these are not made to sell in the retail world, there is no reason to put any kind of generic ID numbers on them.

I have never seen a successful repair with someone using anything other than the exact same pot that we use. I have seen a few basses repaired badly and the hole had to be plugged and re-drilled from using the wrong pot size.

The exact taper, detent and pot value along with shaft length, bushing length and diameter and threads is unique.

Let us know how you do in your search. I am sure the time you spend will cost you more than the cost of shipping on over there with a fresh set of the standard Smith strings to save on overall shipping costs. Door to door in my opinion is cheaper then spending your days and weeks running around.
I'm sorry my English is so bad, I don't understand the meaning of your answer...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by morin arnaud View Post
I'm sorry my English is so bad, I don't understand the meaning of your answer...
Trust me, my French is non existent so your English is much better..

I see the broken pot, yes that's the one.

I was telling you that finding a Pot will be difficult. I think we may be the only source for the exact one you need. I also said that if you find one, please let us know. Using the wrong kind will either not work so well or damage your bass. That is from what I have seen.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

I would like to buy you this pot and I ask your customer service but they tell me 10$ for the pot and 100 $ for the shipping...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb shipping..

Quote:
I would like to buy you this pot and I ask your customer service but they tell me 10$ for the pot and 100 $ for the shipping...
UPS is the best we have to use but the most expensive and has to be in a box so the Pot is not broken. The Shipping is the shipping, not our price. Please email me at the company, not here on a public forum. I was the one who Emailed back to you several times. You should add strings to the order so save on shipping as it will be about the same price for that weight.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

I think the best thing I have to do is to sell the bass,

thanks again...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Why?

Quote:
I think the best thing I have to do is to sell the bass,

thanks again...
Why sell? A simple fix and your bass would be good to go. Would hate to see you sell over such a simple repair.