Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Posting Member

Jens Westerinen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb KSD's and the variations

This one's good too: http://cgi.ebay.com/KSD-Ken-Smith-De...item4cf15dfcc0

(Link to a KSD Ken Smith Design Burner Deluxe 6 String Bass, as the ad might expire).

(Split away from this Thread about a Smith BSR5MS listed on Ebay)
Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Ksd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Westerinen View Post
That is a KSD bass produced by D'Andrea and M.I.C. (made in China). I had them over a few days ago with a few new samples and the workmanship is spot on with the current models. These are made to a price point I could only sell parts for but not the wood let alone a bass made in USA. That would be impossible. I an happy to assist them with ideas and QC with all the new models as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
That is a KSD bass produced by D'Andrea and M.I.C. (made in China). I had them over a few days ago with a few new samples and the workmanship is spot on with the current models. These are made to a price point I could only sell parts for but not the wood let alone a bass made in USA. That would be impossible. I an happy to assist them with ideas and QC with all the new models as well.
Were you more involved in the Japan made Burners then these new models?
How much, if so?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Japan Burners?

Quote:
Were you more involved in the Japan made Burners then these new models?
How much, if so?
Ok, I had the Burner first made in 1989 in Japan, copied from a BT 5G bass and the models were then made with woods we supplied and completed all the basses in our shop. We did them thru 1998 and then made the BSR Burner for 2 years ending in 2000/Y2K. That was the USA/Japan Burners that say Ken Smith on the head.

A few years ago as the KSD's were in full swing (from about 2004) I suggested to Brooklyn Gear (the old KSD producer) to start making BSR-Burners in Korea (where they were then made) along with the KSD J-copies. This was due to a possible lawsuit by Fender trying to stop the world from using the Jazz body shape. Having a design of my own already and quite popular I had BG send my samples to the Factory to make in either case, win or loose. In the process, a new Factory in China was hired as the Koren Factory was not delivering as well as before, possibly due to the competition from China. The other companies that only copy would have had have a tougher time surviving if Fender were to win their case. For me, I wished Fender the best as I would prefer all companies make original designs.

Anyway, Fender lost that fight and BG was in the process of turning over the KSD project to their fulfillment house at the time, D'Andrea co. who was doing the actual importing already from Korea and then China as the making of the basses were switched to a more reliable shop.

At this same time, Sleek Elite in Japan had already been making higher end handmade J-models for the Japan market with my blessing and some of my design work as well. I also supplied them with some wood parts and hardware or electronics as needed. Sleek Elite (SE) was on their own to use whatever parts they thought necessary. It was their bass, not mine and it was called KSD Brooklyn, no affiliation with the former Brooklyn Gear company at all.

Then SE started making the Burner models again with my blessing and help but made only a very high end model for Hadrien Feraud. This is the HF KSD Burner.

So, you have the old KSB produced/imported Burners (BT and BSR) from 1989-2000 from Ken Smith Basses, the KSD line now produced by D'Andrea in both J-models and BSR models and the handmade basses by Sleek Elite under the name KSD Brooklyn in both a J-model and the original Burner/BT-bolt-on as used by Hadrien Feraud.

What was the question again?.. lol

Oh, an contrary to erroneous belief as displayed on some pages over at TalkBass by the misinformed, I was and still is the consulted designer as well as the Licensor of all KSD (Ken Smith Design) products. I consult regularly on KSD matters with both Sleek Elite as well as D'Andrea (and Brooklyn Gear in the past) on both design, materials and even marketing of the KSD products. I never left or severed my relationships with any KSD produced product and have been paid Royalties from the start as well as currently and going forward. I own the name KSD/Ken Smith Design and have no intention of disassociating myself with a product and name that is now world recognized and accepted in various price points and markets worldwide.

For those of you that also chat on TB, please tell them to disregard false rumors to the contrary. The truth is the truth and the horses mouth has just spoke..
Old 09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Posting Member

Thank you very much for your detailed answer, Ken!
So you shipped woods to Japan and the basses were made there, right? And then you completed them in your own shop. What was done on them in your shop during the "completing"?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
So you shipped woods to Japan and the basses were made there, right? And then you completed them in your own shop. What was done on them in your shop during the "completing"?
Bumpdibump.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

Quote:
Completed in my own shop? The Burners from 1989-1998 were. NOT the KSD's. Was that your question?

Japan/Sleek Elite buys as they need or like from me for the new high end Burner and that is the end for me on that model.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Completed in my own shop? The Burners from 1989-1998 were. NOT the KSD's. Was that your question?

Japan/Sleek Elite buys as they need or like from me for the new high end Burner and that is the end for me on that model.
What was done to the Burners made between 89-98 in your shop during the "completing"?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
What was done to the Burners made between 89-98 in your shop during the "completing"?
Circuits installed, pickups wired in, Strap Loks installed, serial numbers and final set-up. We shipped the strings over there in advance so they could check the necks.

A lot more was done in supplying the wood to them in advance. I had tons of figured maple and walnut that I wanted to use and selected it for the burners and shipped it over. The same with the fingerboard blanks that we made from Morado lumber here.

These were NOT KSDs. These were Burners, our own copy or the BT bass in a bolt-on.