Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Eastern Europe

Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Junior Posting Member

David Nachmias is on a distinguished road
Default Details on an upright

Hi!
i have a Romanian built double bass, fully carved, but no maker's label inside...
how can i know details on the bass? (and worth)
the last owner, an old teacher here, told me he bought it couple of years ago new..

Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool it's worth?

Ask your teacher what HE bought it as and from where. There are quite a few shops making basses in Romania and more brands and names than shops.

Like the old German shop basses from 50-100 years ago inported into USA, Romania is doing a similar thing as the new supplier of European affordable instruments.

I cant give a value with just these pictures. It looks to be a fully carved bass with a round back (that's a plus) and violin corners (another plus).

Flat backs are much less and more trouble over time as well as Gamba corners being less expensive as well.

The back and rib wood (maple or poplar?) looks fairly plain. The top is traditionally spruce. These woods are local and common to eastern Europe so nothing unusual there.

I think that new or new condition, $4-6k is the low end retail price for a violin cornered round back carved bass in USA. Some shops 'dress-up' these basses with various fitting or 'marketing ploys' like graduated or special varnishing etc. In my experience, the basic supplied models are the best values. There is not as much value down the road on all these extras. Fancies looking figured wood costs more and slightly increases its value. Some times, shop graduated/labeled instruments can be over carved inside resulting in top collapses that basically ruin the instrument.

Now, being that you are in Hungary and maybe bought this there, it could cost half that price, maybe 2-4k euros. I don't know the exact prices there. I do however know people there so if you need help, email me for my contacts there.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

David Nachmias is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help!

actually i can't really ask the teacher (he's not my teacher), he's very old and not speaking english (I'm not speaking hungarian), but when i met him with my friend he told me that he bought this bass from the maker in romania 2-3 years ago, somewhere in north romania ( i didn't quite understand)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
maybe 2-4k euros.
Thats the usual price here.