Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Local story..

I found this story about me from a local magazine called 'Bucks Life Magazine'. The Link however goes to our FB page rather than our website.

Ken Smith is the hands and mind behind the appropriately named Ken Smith Basses. He crafts extraordinarily beautiful species of wood into bass guitars and (double the pleasure, double the fun) double basses. His work is detailed and rockin, so I wanted to make his visage into a graphic, bold, sticker for one of his guitars. As always, started with a sketch and then did the strong black line work and coloring in photoshop. I recreated one of his guitars from his site and let the power of bevel and emboss assist in creating a vehicle for his sticker self. This photoshop file size was a BEAST- I spawned nearly 80 layers trying to achieve some of the cool little nuances in Ken’s guitar. It took sometimes a full game of Bejeweled 2 just to wait for the file to open, so some unintentional credit goes to Ken for aiding in my new high score.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/we do not make double basses here but rather deal in them, mainly older basses and most of them are purchased in dis-repair and then restored by one of the Luthiers I use to bring them back to life. The DB scroll I think is the Jacquet-Pillement I have. I can tell from the Gears and Scroll but in photo-shopping or reversing the negative, he has the Gears in reverse on that bass.