Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Posting Member

David Alan McIntire II is on a distinguished road

I completely agree there aren't many Master builders out there, my questions here are meant only about Smith basses. Where I'm from, both originally and where residin now, there are NO techs to properly set up basses, or have too much knowledge concerning them at all. I do dearly love the feel of a nice, oil finished instrument. I have yet to be able to afford a Smith built for my needs exactly, but the one I have I got very reasonable, it's in good shape, sounds amazing and I wouldn't consider it a "dud" in any way. Compared to my 18V Jazz bass, its output is less, but it's more of a feel thing than an actual jump in volume, per se. My Smith has the hard finish on it, and though pretty, it doesn't have the crazy grain or figure in the wood I've seen in some Smiths. I was wondering if the finish did change the tone or appearance of wood, as compared to an oil finished bass, and I think got the answer. It's all subjective. Heh. I would never have ordered the hard finish on a bass like a Smith, but I must say it's aged well. It gives the bass an antique type vibe, and though would've never said in a million years I think I like the finish in the end. I've gotten used to it and really love it. So, I ain't changin a thing. If I want a new preamp, I'll get a new Smith. Someday...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Otto Orraca is on a distinguished road

one thing I would like to see new is a lighter weight hardwear. I have own 2 Ken Smith BSR5GN and they were both a little bit too heavy, when I was cleaning both of them, I removed the hardwear for cleaning I realiase that the bass it self is light, and I could feel how heavy the hardwear was. I would be great to get a K.S. bass that weights at least 9 LBS.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool How bout woods....

Another consideration: Some woods are heavier than others too. Personally, I don't have a problem with the weight of any Smith I've ever owned.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

In fact I like the fretted Smith basses as they are and I am pretty sure there will not be so many changes in the future, as this design showed at what level the basses are excelent made and thought.

Nevertheless, my thoughts are in the fretless area.

I wish it would exist a specific fretless design/model with the following features/options:
- only one sweetspoted pickup
- option for a piezzo pickup considering the exceptional sound the Smith basses deliver.
- longer fingerboard (joining the sweetspoted pickup or at least 28 fretlines) so no need for a neck ramp.
- chambered body in order to achive more acoustic headroom.(especially usefull with the piezzo pickup)

Am I dreaming too much?

Best regards
Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brian Hewett is on a distinguished road
Default Option for a shorter headstock on BSR7EG

I don't know if this has already been mentioned before but I would like to see an option for a shorter headstock on 7 string Smith basses. I played a six string Smith for many years and now with the 7 string I have to be much more careful not to knock people in the head when playing music in tight quarters. I'm getting more used to it but it would still be nice to have a headstock which is closer to the same length as a six string if it is possible.
I've imagined that perhaps 3 tuners on the top in normal spacing with 4 on the bottom using a very tight spacing, probably almost touching tight, could possibly work and come out to about the same distance as the 3 top normally spaced tuners. Perhaps the F string tuner would need to be slightly closer to the nut than the B sting to achieve the equal distance at the A and D string tuners. I'm not sure about the details but if this could be done it could lesson the length by around 2.5 inches which may not seem like a lot but again when playing in tight corners going from about 8.5 inches to 6 inches of headstock length would be nice.
I've even imagined a couple of ways of modifying my own bass to achieve this but then I regained my sanity and thought better than to even think about going down that road.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb smaller head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hewett View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned before but I would like to see an option for a shorter headstock on 7 string Smith basses. I played a six string Smith for many years and now with the 7 string I have to be much more careful not to knock people in the head when playing music in tight quarters. I'm getting more used to it but it would still be nice to have a headstock which is closer to the same length as a six string if it is possible.
I've imagined that perhaps 3 tuners on the top in normal spacing with 4 on the bottom using a very tight spacing, probably almost touching tight, could possibly work and come out to about the same distance as the 3 top normally spaced tuners. Perhaps the F string tuner would need to be slightly closer to the nut than the B sting to achieve the equal distance at the A and D string tuners. I'm not sure about the details but if this could be done it could lesson the length by around 2.5 inches which may not seem like a lot but again when playing in tight corners going from about 8.5 inches to 6 inches of headstock length would be nice.
I've even imagined a couple of ways of modifying my own bass to achieve this but then I regained my sanity and thought better than to even think about going down that road.
Two problems will be inherent if done. One, it will be hard to tune and turn the tuners if you can't get a finger between them and two, moving them closer to the edges of the wood will weaken the wood and be prone to splitting, cracking or breaking. Basses get bumped all the time. You need some cushion of strength there. The wood between the tuner hole and the outside edge of the wood is that cushion.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default smaller head? - No, just a bit shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Two problems will be inherent if done. One, it will be hard to tune and turn the tuners if you can't get a finger between them and two, moving them closer to the edges of the wood will weaken the wood and be prone to splitting, cracking or breaking. Basses get bumped all the time. You need some cushion of strength there. The wood between the tuner hole and the outside edge of the wood is that cushion.
Hi Ken! Thanks for your reply!

I wasn't really thinking a smaller head, just the length of it so I think the distance to the edge might be able to stay the same but strength certainly would trump a couple and a half inches of length in the headstock so if drilling the tuning machine holes closer to each other would make it weaker then it certainly would not be worth it. And, like you said, basses get bumped all the time so again strength wins out.
I've dealt with basses in the past that had very close tuning machines and it didn't bother me but I can see how a lot of people would probably not like that.

Thanks again for your reply and your time!

By the way, thank you for making such fantastic instruments!

I hope you have time to get out and play some golf.

Brian
Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Golf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hewett View Post
Hi Ken! Thanks for your reply!

I wasn't really thinking a smaller head, just the length of it so I think the distance to the edge might be able to stay the same but strength certainly would trump a couple and a half inches of length in the headstock so if drilling the tuning machine holes closer to each other would make it weaker then it certainly would not be worth it. And, like you said, basses get bumped all the time so again strength wins out.
I've dealt with basses in the past that had very close tuning machines and it didn't bother me but I can see how a lot of people would probably not like that.

Thanks again for your reply and your time!

By the way, thank you for making such fantastic instruments!

I hope you have time to get out and play some golf.

Brian
I think my Golf time is now practice time on the bass. I enjoy it as well. The years I played a lot of golf I was not playing much bass at all. With this business demanding so much of my personal time I think it is one or the other, golf or bass. I can do 2 things but 3 is difficult. Especially if you want to be good at it. I make more playing bass than golf.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Smith 7-string Headstock length

I almost had the problem with the headstock - but the problem was really the other musician standing too close to me.

Last night, the guitarist kept standing too close - so I put the headstock about one-inch from his nose. He stepped back.

No problems with my Smith7-string bass. None.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Smith 7-String Headstock length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
I almost had the problem with the headstock - but the problem was really the other musician standing too close to me.

Last night, the guitarist kept standing too close - so I put the headstock about one-inch from his nose. He stepped back.

No problems with my Smith7-string bass. None.
LOL - Hey Christopher, that's the spirit! The other musicians better start watching out. I love the "one-inch from the nose" technique.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Wohlfeil is on a distinguished road

I would change the string spacing to 16mm like on the Burner Basses. For light touch, fingerstyle playing it is so comfortable. There is absolutely no way a US made Smith Bass could be ordered with 16mm string spacing??
Old 10-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb 16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wohlfeil View Post
I would change the string spacing to 16mm like on the Burner Basses. For light touch, fingerstyle playing it is so comfortable. There is absolutely no way a US made Smith Bass could be ordered with 16mm string spacing??
No, not at this time. It would be a totally new design. Neck Jigs, custom pickups, New Bridge, etc.

Sleek Elite in Japan is making a re-issue Burner model now in 16mm and it's very high quality.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Ken Smith MD7 - I would only change the number I own :)

Ken Smith MD7 - I would only change the number I own.
A White-Tiger MD7!
I am accepting donations for worthy cause.
Contact me for the donation website - really, contact me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ken Smith MD7 - Nov 2 2010.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1896  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris Rhodes - si Salsa Nov 2 2010 with Smith MD7.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1897  

Last edited by Christopher Rhodes; 11-08-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: edit for spelling, and more spelling errors