Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Greg Cordez is on a distinguished road
Default Peter Wamsley bass?

Hi Ken and everyone,

Going to go look at a bass this week. Looks gamba shaped, flatback and labelled. The label says 'Made by Peter Wamsley at ye Golden Harp in Pickadilly London'

Friad i dont know much about him as a maker. In my basic searching, it seems he was a well regarded violin/cello maker. no real info on his basses though.

What do you know about him? Be great to get your thoughts on him.

Heres the photos i have of it right now. Will try get some better ones when i see in next coupla days. The asking price seems very reasonable for an old english bass, so its ringing a few alarm bells.

As always, any thoughts and advice greatly appriciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!roFE2OVGU6kBRfP0jIKI!~~60_12.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2711  Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16FHJHQFFhgOEiRrBRfP6(z1,g~~60_12.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2712  Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqUOKpgE7G((ZN-pBRfP3(8oGQ~~60_12.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	2713  
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cordez View Post
Hi Ken and everyone,

Going to go look at a bass this week. Looks gamba shaped, flatback and labelled. The label says 'Made by Peter Wamsley at ye Golden Harp in Pickadilly London'

Friad i dont know much about him as a maker. In my basic searching, it seems he was a well regarded violin/cello maker. no real info on his basses though.

What do you know about him? Be great to get your thoughts on him.

Heres the photos i have of it right now. Will try get some better ones when i see in next coupla days. The asking price seems very reasonable for an old english bass, so its ringing a few alarm bells.

As always, any thoughts and advice greatly appriciated.
Wamsley is about 150 older than that bass which looks German to me from these pictures. If you like that bass and the price is good, check the conditions with a good Luthier and see how good the old repairs are. If it were a Peter Wamsley bass, it would be an early 18th century style model and besides being extremely rare, it would be very expensive. Old English basses these days start near the $100k range for the classics in restored condition. I highly doubt this is a Wamsley or English or from his period.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Shaw is on a distinguished road

I'm totally with Ken on this - plus, look at the label. There's no way that hasn't been pasted in recently!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Shaw is on a distinguished road

Just found this bass listed on eBay. Sorry, but anyone with a Wamsley bass doesn't put it on eBay at that sort of price.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
I'm totally with Ken on this - plus, look at the label. There's no way that hasn't been pasted in recently!
Yes, I agree on the label as those burn marks were put there to age what looks like a label taken out of a book. I tried this recently for fun and copied a label from a book and then on to brown paper from a paper bag and then aged it. To almost any eye, my label from the 1700s looks original. Fake and aged labels are very common in this business. Most old instruments do not have their original labels anymore that I have seen. We usually have to ID a bass from the actual bass itself and others like it as labels are no longer trusted anymore.