Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andrew LeMasters is on a distinguished road
Default P.A.P.A or Preamp

Ever since I've heard Fred Hammond, back in the 80's, playing a Ken Smith, I've been a fan. I've craved that Ken Smith tone and unique slap tone, and have never found it, except with a Ken Smith bass.

Fred Hammond playing on his track

Fred slapping and singing

Here's my dilemma. I have an excellent bass right now, but let's face it, it's no Ken Smith. It will be another year or more, sadly, before I can buy one of my own. So, in hopes of temporarily allaying my KSB cravings, I've decided to either buy a P.A.P.A, or FranKenSmith my bass.

What would be the best course of action? My current bass already has a separate compartment for two 9 volts, and a 5 knob setup, but only one switch. It is a five-string, with a mono-rail bridge, so if I got KS pickups, adjusting the bridge for correct string spacing wouldn't be too difficult. My concern is for the resale value of my bass, once I replace it later for what I really want.

I would not be doing the work myself, and it would be professionally done. What I really want is that Ken Smith "quack" when I slap. Does anyone have any tips or insight for me?

Last edited by Andrew LeMasters; 01-31-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LeMasters View Post
Ever since I've heard Fred Hammond, back in the 80's, playing a Ken Smith, I've been a fan. I've craved that Ken Smith tone and unique slap tone, and have never found it, except with a Ken Smith bass.

Fred Hammond playing on his track

Fred slapping and singing

Here's my dilemma. I have an excellent bass right now, but let's face it, it's no Ken Smith. It will be another year or more, sadly, before I can buy one of my own. So, in hopes of temporarily allaying my KSB cravings, I've decided to either buy a P.A.P.A, or FranKenSmith my bass.

What would be the best course of action? My current bass already has a separate compartment for two 9 volts, and a 5 knob setup, but only one switch. It is a five-string, with a mono-rail bridge, so if I got KS pickups, adjusting the bridge for correct string spacing wouldn't be too difficult. My concern is for the resale value of my bass, once I replace it later for what I really want.

I would not be doing the work myself, and it would be professionally done. What I really want is that Ken Smith "quack" when I slap. Does anyone have any tips or insight for me?
The PAPA OR the Smith Pre-Amp in YOUR Bass will just be the EQ of a Smith bass, NOT the tone or feel of the Smith bass, wood in hand.

I suggest you buy the PAPA and leave your bass as it is so if and when you sell it, it is not chopped up or possibly de-valued from modifications.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andrew LeMasters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The PAPA OR the Smith Pre-Amp in YOUR Bass will just be the EQ of a Smith bass, NOT the tone or feel of the Smith bass, wood in hand.

I suggest you buy the PAPA and leave your bass as it is so if and when you sell it, it is not chopped up or possibly de-valued from modifications.
I knew this would be the case, and was hoping it wouldn't be. Thanks for your continued support and knowledgeable input to these forums.

Tags
mod, modify, p.a.p.a, pickup, preamp