Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Chaka Khan with Melvin Davis

Chaka Khan was in Philly tonight at the Dell center with Melvin Davis on Bass. Playing a 5EG Ebony top and a MD7(EG) Ebony top as well. Opening for them first an R&B group I wasn't familiar with 3 male singers and a good band but by the time we got to our seats up front, (thanks Mel ), their short set was nearly half way thru. Then, this great female singer came on a lit up the house, Ledisi. In the middle of her set she points out Patti LaBelle in the audience and she worked here way there during a song and I heard a bit of both of them singing briefly. Then, Chaka's band came on and set and the crowd on fire. Half way thru, they usher up Patti LaBelle and they do a duet. This was not on the menu and it was opening night for the Dell center. They brought the house down.

Melvin sounded great. There were two other bass players in the other bands and they were good, very good, BUT, the sound Melvin put out was awesome, a live outdoor venue on a warm summer evening with a nearly packed house of about 5,000 people. With all the singing along and noise and applause, I thought there were 20-30,000 people behind me. I was in front on the right near the stage, Row E (5th row) in section 'A' so everything was behind me and to my right. I could not see to the back there unless I stood up.

I have been to several concerts to hear people play Smith basses and some of them outdoors. I have to say this was probably the best concert I can remember and the best bass sound as well. Melvin is one of the top players today. When I mentioned to him how great Ledisi was, he told me that he played on her last 3 Albums (CDs). Ledisi also came up and did a duet with Chaka a few tunes before Patti LaBelle did. I think for the R&B fans of the Philly area, these 2 duets were icing on the cake.

If either of these Singers hit your area, Chaka or Ledisi, don't miss it. Regardless of your personal musical tastes, these ladies are just about the best and most energetic singers and entertainers I have seen. I am not easily impressed musically. Tonight, I was, quite a bit. Ken..
Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Posting Member

Kirk P Brosius is on a distinguished road
Default Chaka & Melvin

Hey Ken (and all),
Thanks for the coverage. Seems like a great time had by all!
I get to see Bruce Hornsby this Tuesday, in Fruita, CO with the Noisemakers, and I certainly hope that JV will be on-stage with his Smith 6str!! Chatting with him at a festival near Yosemite Park many years ago steered me toward my Smith 5MW and it's still my main gigging bass.
Ken, you are absolutely correct when referring to them as "albums". Artists put together "albums" of their work in recording studios and then, move that material to different media. Whether one listens on vinyl, disc, tape or chip, it's an album.
Kind of "old school" but, tradition will prevail!!
Keep the music LIVE and LOW, Kirk