Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Darah Gardner is on a distinguished road
Default Bsr4b, 1998

I replied to a post in another thread, and I think that it would do more justice to the board to move it over here to the rest of the Ken Smith enthusiasts! I hope I am doing this correctly here is the transcript so far... and my newest question is :

What is the background on this BSR4B...? Im noticing the serial number is very different then most other of your basses.... you mentioned it was only made a short time- why? if my researching is correct, then the Burner replaced this model? This model is a very difficult one to gather information about....

THREAD:
Originally Posted by Darah Gardner
hi- I have a BSR4B- custom. soapbars custom option. Tiger Maple Top & Back with Walnut Core. Highly figured. Gold Package. Mother of Pearl dots.... 4/1998, all documentation and case (that has seen better days)

Originally Posted by Ken Smith
SB custom option? From who?

This is a Smith Bass or a Burner BSR?

If it is a Smith USA bass, then the BSR'B' model that was made with that name for only a short time came standard with the SB pickups. The Js were J models.
im sorry- they are standard-- it is a smith usa- the paperwork says BSR4B... 4/18/1988...

Wow! I can't believe you replied! You are an incredible musician and artist with the instrument!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith
Thanks for the compliments. I was just trying to help here with the ID of you bass and get some clarity to what exactly it was. There were upgrades with that 'B' model as well if I remember correctly. Ebony fingerboard too, right?
yes- and thank you! beautiful smooth black ebony with the Mother of Pearl Dots... Gold Hardware.... bolt on neck...
Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darah Gardner View Post
What is the background on this BSR4B...? Im noticing the serial number is very different then most other of your basses.... you mentioned it was only made a short time- why? if my researching is correct, then the Burner replaced this model? This model is a very difficult one to gather information about....
The Burner has nothing to do with this at all. It was just a 'package' model that was offered for a short time. I think it was the 'M' model with added options.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Junior Posting Member

can you recall how many of them you made? and does my serial tell me anything more then the 4b and date?
Old 06-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darah Gardner View Post
can you recall how many of them you made? and does my serial tell me anything more then the 4b and date?
I would have to go back and look at all the serial numbers to see how many 4Bs were made. With the various woods and such, most of them are different. We made more 5s by far than 4s. There probably weren't to many of the upgraded version made. I can look up the serial number of your bass next week. It's best to email me directly there, not thru the forum.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

You are awesome!!!! Thank you!! ill message you now!