Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Bollbach is on a distinguished road
Default Happy New Year everybody!

Just got off the phone with Ken [who is working all day!] and felt nostalgic for this scene. I guess all the BS that went down at TB just put me off bass forum stuff in general. Kinda like to get back into it a bit. So...I'll see you guys around!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

HAPPEY NEW YEAR FROM NORTH CAROLINA. I understand completely. I have similar thoughts about some of those at TB. One of the reasons I'm here.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Happy new year Jeff and all!! Good to have you back.

Here is a link to see a nice GdS video.

http://www.soundjunction.org/thedoub....aspa?NodeID=1
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bollbach View Post
Just got off the phone with Ken [who is working all day!] and felt nostalgic for this scene. I guess all the BS that went down at TB just put me off bass forum stuff in general. Kinda like to get back into it a bit. So...I'll see you guys around!
It's about time you showed up. Too bad that's your last post till next year..

Anyway, for those of you not so familiar with Jeff's work, he is one of the finest Luthiers I have know with great and attention to detail in his work.

I had the pleasure of having his first full Chromatic C-extension and will probably have him make me another in the coming year for one of my Basses. Here is a look at the one he did on this Bass which also was repaired by him as well after I brought it in to the country.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Nice work by Jeff there. I appreciate the clean lines and simple design that is not fussy nor takes away from the original as much as possible.

Ken , in your link to that bass you state it is signed by Leandro Bisiach who died in 1946. It was signed by Leandro Bisiach Jr. At the top of the page shouldn't it read Bass by Giacomo and Leandro Bisiach? I have seen some cellos that were labeled Giacomo and Leandro Bisiach and a couple violins also. These were the two youngest sons, of four, of Leandro Bisiach. I think Liandro Bisiach Jr died in the 1970's.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool yes, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Nice work by Jeff there. I appreciate the clean lines and simple design that is not fussy nor takes away from the original as much as possible.

Ken , in your link to that bass you state it is signed by Leandro Bisiach who died in 1946. It was signed by Leandro Bisiach Jr. At the top of the page shouldn't it read Bass by Giacomo and Leandro Bisiach? I have seen some cellos that were labeled Giacomo and Leandro Bisiach and a couple violins also. These were the two youngest sons, of four, of Leandro Bisiach. I think Liandro Bisiach Jr died in the 1970's.
Yes, I know the dates of the father and the sons but this Bass is NOT Italian. It came to me from Italy but after showing it to several people, we determined it was not Italian but some kind of copy.

I have some good information on its origin and some good info first hand from 3 sources IN Hungary about this Bass directly and some other suspected antiqued Basses.

Maybe this belongs in another section, you think? Read more here in this new Thread about the Gypsy Fake/Antiquing Clan..
Old 01-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Posting Member

Drake Chan is on a distinguished road

Happy New Year everyone!

Jeff, the work you did for me on my Germen beater back in October is getting better and better everyday. Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

Matthew Heintz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Happy new year Jeff and all!! Good to have you back.

Here is a link to see a nice GdS video.

http://www.soundjunction.org/thedoub....aspa?NodeID=1
On a related note, see Stefan Krattenmacher's article on the d'salo: http://www.krattenmacher.com/publications/p_dasalo.html