Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Classical and Symphony Bass Playing

Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb NYC Bass Recital

Bill Blossom, Bassist of the NY Philharmonic just turned 60. Yesterday he did a Recital for a select invited crowd of about 100+ which included the entire Bass section of the NY Phil including past Principal John Schaeffer, recently retired Lew Norton, Alvin Bream, Peter Lloyd (Minnesota Principal Bassist) and many others. Luthiers Arnold Schnitzer, Jeff Bollbach and Paul Biase were also amongst the invitees. The performance in itself was breath taking!

Note: Bill's Bass was made by Jeff Bollbach in 2001 and was #2 of the four variations of his Pallotta model made to date. The Bow he used was made by Giovanni Lucchi. His Bass is strung with Obligato G & D, Eudoxa A (silver wound on gut) and a Permanent E/C. The Fingered Extension was made and installed by Bill Blossom who is also a great Luthier and Bow maker as well as great Double Bassist.

Jon Deak wrote a special commissioned piece for the event ("Yamamba", 'The Mountain Crone' for Bass, Flute, Viola and Harp) as well as Bill opening up playing a Bach Concerto for Solo Violin (Preludio to the 3rd Partita) transcribed for Double Bass by Bill himself. One other modern piece by John Mooney (Poem for Double Bass and Piano but performed with Harp) was performed.

This was the most prestigious gathering of Bass talent I have ever witnessed in my life. I was fortunate to get invited myself having studied with Bill Blossom 35 years ago as well as Lew Norton 30 years ago.

I got to talk to all the Bassists mentioned above with the exception of Satoshi Okamoto who had to leave after the concert and before the reception (party).

I was kind of the in between guy coming for a Bass doubling career, turning Electric Bass maker and now retired Bassist playing in two Orchestras locally 'after the fact'. Try for a minute being in my shoes introducing yourself to Eugene Levinson (NY Phil Principal) and telling him you studied with both Bill and Lew but never worked in the classical field and then retired to make Electric Basses but is now playing in two orchestras to make up for lost time and keep your Basses tuned up.. OR... Just say "Hi", shake hands and smile..lol

It was actually pretty smooth in there at the reception getting to say hello to those you haven't seen in 30+ years, or only spoke on the phone 3 1/2 decades ago or only knew of each other by reputation.

The funniest thing were 3 luthiers (Arnold, Jeff and Paul) trading Ken Smith stories about me calling to check up on my Bass being repaired. That was one funny ribbing..... I warned Paul that although I still to this date had his home phone number from the '70s, I have not called him since then other than at the Shop! This, he was grateful for.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 01-25-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: link
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

That recital must have been amazing. One of my old teachers was a student of Blossom and Schaeffer, and I had the opportunity to work with Mr. Blossom several times. He is the coach for many of the NY area youth orchestra bass sections.

He's a killer player, I wish I could have been at that recital. And I would like to add that his bass is killer. Didn't know that it was a Bollbach, but that makes it even more impressive that its such a new bass.

Bravo to both Jeff and Bill.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff Bollbach is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Nick. Yeah that was one of those nights when you want it to go on forever.Lots of innerstin folks. It was Bill's b'day and at one point the whole room sang him the birthday song. With all the talent in the room the rendition was incredible. Everybody in key[I laid low] and lots of harmony. You don't hear that often!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Junior Posting Member

Pete Coco is on a distinguished road

Congrats, gentlemen. Sounds like it was an amazing evening. Jeff, you are the man, as I've said before.

Pete
Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Scott Cutrer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Try for a minute being in my shoes introducing yourself to Eugene Levinson (NY Phil Principal) and telling him you studied with both Bill and Lew but never worked in the classical field and then retired to make Electric Basses but is now playing in two orchestras to make up for lost time and keep your Basses tuned up.. OR... Just say "Hi", shake hands and smile..lol
Well for what it's worth Ken..... my wife and kids know who Ken Smith is but they are not up on Eugene Levinson. I'll have to try and work him into the who's who in the bass world at the next family meeting.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

JustinKujawski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Try for a minute being in my shoes introducing yourself to Eugene Levinson (NY Phil Principal) and telling him you studied with both Bill and Lew but never worked in the classical field and then retired to make Electric Basses but is now playing in two orchestras to make up for lost time and keep your Basses tuned up.. OR... Just say "Hi", shake hands and smile..lol
My time with "The Boss" as we (respectfully) call him, has taught my that this is usually the best policy!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jake Newcomb is on a distinguished road

Anybody go to the Levinson bass studio recital at Juilliard this week? I am in the Big Apple till Monday and was checking the JS calender this morning for bass stuff or interesting concerts. I am planning to see Mark Helias play with a trio at a church in the East Village on Sunday and am going to the Village Vanguard tomorrow night.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

Justin, who replied right above you played in it and the recording sounds pretty damn good. There are so many good players in that studio that I can't imagine it being anything but amazing.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Junior Posting Member

JustinKujawski is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words Nick. I just can't seem to play in tune.

If I could figure out how to post audio I'd drop some of the tracks.