Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote
Default The Bass in Fifths

We have a 5 string bass thread, so I thought I'd start this one. I'm currently still tuning in 4ths but I'm seriously considering the change depending on the outcome of some discussion with a few teachers.

To begin discussion:
  • Do any of you currently tune in 5ths?
  • Have any of you tried it and gone back? If so why - was it the left hand challenges, or was it lack of acceptance by your peers or teacher(s)?
  • For those who are tuned in 5ths: What strings are you using? Who have you studied under - did you keep your teacher at the time, or did you find another (who was either more open minded or a 5ths player themselves)?
  • For those who've never tried it: What are your thoughts? Have you heard someone tuned in 5ths perform live?
I'll be posting in this thread as I continue the path toward fifths (or turn back running at some point ). I've had email exchanges with a few players, and I'm constantly researching any info I can find in the way of who is using this tuning, how/why, what books are available, string choices, etc.