Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Oreste Candi, a one-of-a-kind

The Candi Bass was posted for sale here last year by Arnold. The first time I played it I thought it was nice. The second time I played it, I couldn't put it down. Now the Bass is sitting in my office in good company as I purchased it just last week. The Bridge on the Bass was made by Arnold about 10 years ago and strung up with Regular Flexocors. Last week, I put a 1-year old Flex Stark 'E' on the Bass and it sounds just fine. The former owner was Sue Lipkins who took it out only once for a Chamber Orchestra concert and used it for testing her fantastic Bows. I doubt that in the 10 years she owned it, it was played more than a few months worth collectively. It is sounding better every day.

Oreste Candi and his brother Ceasar both trained with Raffaele Fiorini. All of these makers were celebrated Violin Makers. Why this Bass then which was made by Candi at age 72? My guess is that someone asked him to or maybe within a quartet of instruments. I don't know why. I just know he made this one and only Bass.

The tone is beautiful. The power is hard to believe. I compared it to a few larger Basses and pound for pound, it is not easy to beat. Of the early 20th century Italian Basses that I have played, this Candi ranks amongst the best tonally as well as craftsmanship and modeling.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jake Newcomb is on a distinguished road

Nice. What kind of wood is the back and neck made out of? It looks different than the sides.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool wood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Newcomb View Post
Nice. What kind of wood is the back and neck made out of? It looks different than the sides.
The Back, Neck/Scroll and Ribs are all made in matching Oppio (local Italian soft Maple). My Martini made in the same region is made with Oppio as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

Ken, you bass dog! I have an appointment w/ Arnold tomorrow and I was looking forward to trying the 'Candi'. Mazel Tov! It's beautiful,

Bri
Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
Ken, you bass dog! I have an appointment w/ Arnold tomorrow and I was looking forward to trying the 'Candi'. Mazel Tov! It's beautiful,

Bri
Well, now you know where it is for future reference..