Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Hebert is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a new Bass

If my loan goes thru from Actors Fed credit union Ill be getting a new bass. I bought my first one from FMI online...after 2 years the neck bowed and popped the cheap white wood fingerboard off. So I've looked and played the NAS LaScala, Clevland Hybrids. I'm banking that the loan will give me enough to get the LaScala which is around $7000 from David Gage. I also always liked the idea of the Chadwick Folding Bass Hybrid for much cheaper or if the loan only gives me say $3500 then maybe a '39 Vintage Kay. Can someone give guidance? I'm into Milt Hinton, Joe zinkan type slapping as well as studying jazz online. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hebert View Post
If my loan goes thru from Actors Fed credit union Ill be getting a new bass. I bought my first one from FMI online...after 2 years the neck bowed and popped the cheap white wood fingerboard off. So I've looked and played the NAS LaScala, Clevland Hybrids. I'm banking that the loan will give me enough to get the LaScala which is around $7000 from David Gage. I also always liked the idea of the Chadwick Folding Bass Hybrid for much cheaper or if the loan only gives me say $3500 then maybe a '39 Vintage Kay. Can someone give guidance? I'm into Milt Hinton, Joe zinkan type slapping as well as studying jazz online. Thanks.
LaScala from Gage? Why not call Arnold where the basses first came from? If in or around NY, do not buy before you see Arnold. The best set-up and adjusted basses from a shop that sells bass is there in my experience.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks, the only reason I was going thru him was Will suggested I go try a Cleveland they have. I drove up to Will's house and tried one and loved it but he only accepted cash upfront. With Gage I could do financing or credit card if the loan doesn't come thru fully. But ok I didn't know AES also sold them. Yeah Im in NYC so I think Ill drive over there tomorrow and see what he has. Thanks.

So you think an ol Kay or Chadwick Folding wont compete?
Old 11-10-2015, 12:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hebert View Post
Thanks, the only reason I was going thru him was Will suggested I go try a Cleveland they have. I drove up to Will's house and tried one and loved it but he only accepted cash upfront. With Gage I could do financing or credit card if the loan doesn't come thru fully. But ok I didn't know AES also sold them. Yeah Im in NYC so I think Ill drive over there tomorrow and see what he has. Thanks.

So you think an ol Kay or Chadwick Folding wont compete?
AES 'use to' be Will's Partner but no longer is. But, he has basses of all kinds in there and used ones as well from the 'standard' line. Doesn't hurt to call him and ask. Maybe yes or maybe no but AES should be an option in the shopping process. http://www.aesbass.com/bassgallery1.htm
Old 11-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Junior Posting Member

Oooh i didn't know that. Thanks!