Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 01-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Lownds is on a distinguished road
Default Warped bows

I remember seeing several posts on the TBDB forum where the poster stated that if a bow were warped to the right, it was a good thing, and if it were warped to the left, it was a bad thing. This doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me. Is this true? I would think that warpage of any kind would be bad. If it is true, can anyone explain why? Or, have I been reading the ramblings of another expert on nothing, with opinions on everything?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Gullen is on a distinguished road
Default Warped bow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lownds View Post
I remember seeing several posts on the TBDB forum where the poster stated that if a bow were warped to the right, it was a good thing, and if it were warped to the left, it was a bad thing. This doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me. Is this true? I would think that warpage of any kind would be bad. If it is true, can anyone explain why? Or, have I been reading the ramblings of another expert on nothing, with opinions on everything?
Greetings!

The thinking is that if the bow is ever-so-slightly warped to the right, when you play, arm pressure will tend to "straighten out" the stick. (There is a downward force applied while playing.) If the bow is warped to the left, the playing pressure will only exacerbate the situation.

In my novice opinion, I want a bow straight. If the stick has a very slight bend to the right, it might still be considered playable. This is only if the stick is warped. If the bow only exhibits this behavior with the hair tightened, it needs a rehair.

Just my $0.02

Best regards!

Jim
Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Lownds is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Jim, Your expanation seems to make sense.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Side Camber

When you play, you usually tilt the Bow upwards towards yourself and not flat on the String. If the Bow is slightly Cambered (Bent) away from the player (to the right) this helps even out the stick over the Strings. If the Bow is straight (side to side) this is also ok but if the Stick is bent inwards toward the Strings then this can be a problem but not the end of the world. I have re-cambered about 60 Bows for various reasons. Mostly side-to-side but sometimes to add Camber towards the hair if the stick is too straight Stick-to-hair direction.

If the Stick is straight from the hair or over cambered more than the width of the stick to either side, this can be the sign of a problem. Do not expect a stick with hair pulling it to remain perfect for the life of the Bow. Maybe it will stay as when made or maybe not. Often, Cambers can be corrected but not always.