Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Gorman is on a distinguished road
Post Passive to Active P/U's?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and it's great to be in such good company!

I have a 1987 BT5 (three knobs w/mid sweep) and I would like more punch for tapping etc. Can anyone suggest the setup for me.

This bass is my main worker and its got a lot of miles on it. I love the way it feels and it fits me well. I do my own set-ups and maintain it, so I'm not afraid of altering the appearance a bit.

Thanks, Jim
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Willie Williams is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim: I felt compelled to answer since this was your first post, and to date no one has responded. If I were you I would give Ken a call and discuss it with him. Because the pick ups have so many adjustments, it could be as simple as that.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb three knobs w/mid sweep??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gorman View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and it's great to be in such good company!

I have a 1987 BT5 (three knobs w/mid sweep) and I would like more punch for tapping etc. Can anyone suggest the setup for me.

This bass is my main worker and its got a lot of miles on it. I love the way it feels and it fits me well. I do my own set-ups and maintain it, so I'm not afraid of altering the appearance a bit.

Thanks, Jim
If your Smith Bass has three knobs w/mid sweep then it was modified outside of our Shop. We don't make anything like that. On the theory of passive/active pickups, that also is something we don't do nor have I ever heard of it.

Smith Basses have an active eq circuit that can be bypassed and played with the pickups only aka passive. It is the omission of the active circuit that makes it passive when you switch over, not the function of the pickups.

On your 'tapping' question, I don't have an answer for you. By tapping you are using a fraction of energy as far as sound demand on the instrument goes. Maybe an external volume pedal might be what you need. The Bass was designed to be a Bass and not something else. People do find ways of using various alternative techniques on the Bass so it puts out what you put into it. I don't know how any Bass could respond with more sound without the person pulling the strings at lease with normal pressure, what ever that is!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Gorman is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the advice...

Thank you for replying to my questions. I think I should call personally to better describe what I'm looking for.