Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 02-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jeroen Herlaar is on a distinguished road
Default EQ bands and dip switches

I would like to fiddle a bit with the EQ band dip switches. I am looking for a 2200 Hz boost. What do the differtent dip switches do with specific frequency ranges? I know you can change the center frequency of a band as well as the width of the range (the 'Q' value of the curve). But on what frequencies do the switches operate?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

I would like to play with the EQ switches in my bass one day.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink Play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I would like to play with the EQ switches in my bass one day.
Ok, what are you waiting for better weather?

It would be best to sit down with your best Amp (if you have more than one) and try different positions with each band, take notes of what you hear and then set the 3 bands to the settings you liked most. That's how we did ours because the way the Mid works the cut and the Boost can be sweeter or drier depending on the setting and your Amp as well. Just a frequency # in itself does not necessarily equal a sound in your head. You have to hear it live in a room through your Amp.

Somewhere I have these #s written down but filed them. If it was something of importance, I would have remembered where I put them. Once I found the settings I liked, all else no longer mattered. We marked on the diagram the shop setting we used as well as the original settings that we have on the 9 volt unit we have been using since 1986. The current preset positions of the DIP is the best combination to my ear.

If you have different tastes than I do or use a different Amp or play a different style which all 3 are possible, then play with your switches as much as you like to see if you can find something that works better for you.

Two things though: First, don't break anything in there. It's a tight work space and repairs can be costly. Second, don't forget what the original settings were in case you like what you had to begin with.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

I just dont want to alter with greatness
Old 02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

This thread has given me ideas. I'm thinking about having a go at this. I'll show my ignorance and admit I didn't realize there were DIP switches in my bass I could play with to adjust my tone. Even after so many battery changes I never noticed them. I'll have to do some testing when I get home from work

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb DIPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
This thread has given me ideas. I'm thinking about having a go at this. I'll show my ignorance and admit I didn't realize there were DIP switches in my bass I could play with to adjust my tone. Even after so many battery changes I never noticed them. I'll have to do some testing when I get home from work
The Switches are NEW. If your Bass was made with only one battery, don't bother looking. If it was made with TWO batteries, then the switch is there.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Mine has the old 9V circuit, so guess I'll have to just stick the the awesome tone I already get.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost to refit my bass with the new electronics?

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool cost..

Quote:
Mine has the old 9V circuit, so guess I'll have to just stick the the awesome tone I already get.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost to refit my bass with the new electronics?
The circuit is $300. plus installation ($50.?) BUT if your Bass has the series/parallel switches in it already we can't fit the second battery. This is essentially a 9v circuit with two batteries. It runs the same either way so we can jump the wires and fit it as a 9v as well. We have done this already and draws the same power as the old circuit with 1, 2 or 20 batteries.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Might be something for me to look into down the road.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:

LOL! Bob, I agree, just stick with that awesome tone you're already getting.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-08-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Herlaar View Post
I would like to fiddle a bit with the EQ band dip switches. I am looking for a 2200 Hz boost. What do the differtent dip switches do with specific frequency ranges? I know you can change the center frequency of a band as well as the width of the range (the 'Q' value of the curve). But on what frequencies do the switches operate?
Hello Jeroen! Fancy seeing you here! I'm Crazykiwi on Bassworld.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Herlaar View Post

Ken, I know you provide "Lowest", "Low", "High" and "Highest" settings for "Bass", "Midrange", and "Treble" (i.e. switch position "on" or "off"), but do you have a schematic that could approximate what frequency ranges are cut or boosted related to the switch "on" or "off" position?

Outside of experimentation with these switches (and if you do experiment, be gentle and careful!), I would recommend making your adjustment either with the instruments tone controls (I find there is ample tonal headroom and then some) or otherwise.

Myself, I like the 18V circuit fine: For my ears; While I hear tighter mids, I find no reason to make adjustments to the switches. Any adjustment I make is with the tone controls of the bass or post eq from the amp.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Red face ahh, ahh, ahh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ken, I know you provide "Lowest", "Low", "High" and "Highest" settings for "Bass", "Midrange", and "Treble" (i.e. switch position "on" or "off"), but do you have a schematic that could approximate what frequency ranges are cut or boosted related to the switch "on" or "off" position?

Outside of experimentation with these switches (and if you do experiment, be gentle and careful!), I would recommend making your adjustment either with the instruments tone controls (I find there is ample tonal headroom and then some) or otherwise.

Myself, I like the 18V circuit fine: For my ears; While I hear tighter mids, I find no reason to make adjustments to the switches. Any adjustment I make is with the tone controls of the bass or post eq from the amp.
I know somewhere someplace there are some numbers written down for the bass and Treble but the Mids work differently with the shape of the 'notch' in the cut or boost. Honestly, when I chose the frequency settings, I did it totally by Ear.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool If you do find them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I know somewhere someplace there are some numbers written down for the bass and Treble but the Mids work differently with the shape of the 'notch' in the cut or boost. Honestly, when I chose the frequency settings, I did it totally by Ear.

Ken, if you do come across them, it would be interesting to know. Otherwise, my ear is happy with these settings as they are.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Stram is on a distinguished road

I had a shack 6 string for a little bit that had dip switches. But since I dont read german i took a look, said 'wow..cool" and closed it right back up . Noisy pickups...too noisy.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Willie Williams is on a distinguished road

On my New BSR I set the dip switches to the old settings. I guess that is just what my ears were used to hearing.