Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Junior Posting Member

Terry Takahashi is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from Oregon

Hi Smith vets, Newb from Oregon.

I just joined the forum after getting a stern Use-your-real-name lecture, which seems like a reasonable policy.

I play both electric and upright in a wide variety of genres. I joined the forum to get as much information on KS Basses (electric, 4 str, fretted) before I buy one - which means that I'll probably be asking a lot of naive questions, so please bear with me.

First question: Where can I get information on the classic CR models? The search engine doesn't seem to find anything.

Keep walkin'
Terry
Old 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Takahashi View Post
First question: Where can I get information on the classic CR models? The search engine doesn't seem to find anything.

Keep walkin'
Terry
Maybe ask me?

Actually, I am making a one right now, mainly because it's a model I like playing. Very comfortable and close to my original design from over 30 years ago, the BT, just a slight alteration from the first prototype.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Junior Posting Member

Terry Takahashi is on a distinguished road
Default thanks!

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Smith. I hesitated to ask you - you're undoubtedly swamped with inquiries.

What I was looking for was threads on the forum about the CR series or a KSB site that posted manuals etc on legacy products. I am seriously looking at a CR4 1994, and wanted to know more about the CRs (history, specs, sound character etc). I was going to call KSB with specific questions once I had done some basic homework.

For the time being, I'd appreciate your pointing me to a pdf of the manual for a CR.

Cheers & thanks.
Terry
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool pdf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Takahashi View Post
Thank you for your reply, Mr. Smith. I hesitated to ask you - you're undoubtedly swamped with inquiries.

What I was looking for was threads on the forum about the CR series or a KSB site that posted manuals etc on legacy products. I am seriously looking at a CR4 1994, and wanted to know more about the CRs (history, specs, sound character etc). I was going to call KSB with specific questions once I had done some basic homework.

For the time being, I'd appreciate your pointing me to a pdf of the manual for a CR.

Cheers & thanks.
Terry
PDF? Manual? Manual for what exactly? It's the same as any other bass we make as far as how it works.

We started making the CR model (Crunch Resonator) or, BTBO, BT Bolt-On in 1991 with 28 6-string basses, the first run. Then we soon after designed and made the 5-string and then the 4-string but never a big run of any model after that first group of 6s.. These were a similar designs to the Burner which was a Bolt-on copy of the BT but, made in Japan with some of our materials and completed in our NY Shop (later in PA after 6/'95).

In 1996 the BSR model was added to the Bolt-on line BUT, I called them CR's for about the first year or so contemplating discontinuing the CR/BT shape for the BSR. Surveying dealers and players we found there were many on both sides that still preferred the long standing established BT shape, Bolt-on or Neck-thru.

What ever circuit went in the Neck-thru at any given time, went into the Bolt-on as well.

If you have questions about a specific actual bass, Email pictures to me at the office, not here. support@kensmithbasses.com
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Posting Member

frederic vidal is on a distinguished road

Welcome Terry !
Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

Steven Freitas is on a distinguished road

Hey Terry! Welcome.