Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 AM
Junior Posting Member

Neil Garber is on a distinguished road
Default Bridge repair

I have a bunch of middle school students, and the basses they bring are often borderline unplayable. One problem I think I can fix quickly is a bridge where the string slot has been filed too deep. The usual technique of slipping some material under the string to raise it works well enough, but I was thinking that it would be easy enough to glue a new piece of wood there. A triangular insert would be easy to make. I've seen violin bridges with triangular ebony inserts for the the E string. I would use maple. Any thoughts, opinions, warnings or techniques? Thanks.

Neil
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Garber View Post
I have a bunch of middle school students, and the basses they bring are often borderline unplayable. One problem I think I can fix quickly is a bridge where the string slot has been filed too deep. The usual technique of slipping some material under the string to raise it works well enough, but I was thinking that it would be easy enough to glue a new piece of wood there. A triangular insert would be easy to make. I've seen violin bridges with triangular ebony inserts for the the E string. I would use maple. Any thoughts, opinions, warnings or techniques? Thanks.

Neil

Install adjusters, then raise the bridge up to the lowest string and re-cut the rest. Better and easier I think than fills.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Install adjusters, then raise the bridge up to the lowest string and re-cut the rest. Better and easier I think than fills.
I've thought of that. Obviously the best solution. I'll start figuring out how to do all that.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

I'm looking for files to use for nuts and bridges. I've come across nut files at StewMac that look like the way to go. What does everyone use? I'm being taught by a cello luthier and she doesn't really have the correct size files yet.
I did my first bass nut correction with needle files and it seemed unnecessarily tedious because you have to be so careful not to go past the diameter on the file for the string you're working on.

Here are the files I'm speaking of. They have 15 different sizes.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Fi...ing_Files.html
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb needle

Quote:
I'm looking for files to use for nuts and bridges. I've come across nut files at StewMac that look like the way to go. What does everyone use? I'm being taught by a cello luthier and she doesn't really have the correct size files yet.
I did my first bass nut correction with needle files and it seemed unnecessarily tedious because you have to be so careful not to go past the diameter on the file for the string you're working on.

I have been using needle files for over 40 years. In my opinion, it is the best way to go. The other files from SM are easier to use but you have less control if you want to go less or more just slightly. Get both kinds. The more tools, the better.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation

Quote:

And, you can barely cut a d string with those guitar files. You need bigger for the a and e. The needles usually go up to .125-.130.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:

Get these; http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Fi...Nut_Files.html .. AND a few "Rat Tail" needle files from Nicholson, 6" with taper to about 1/8th" or so. Then you have it all. Don't break the tips. Be careful and wear glasses for eye protection.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks. It looks like I can cover the range needed with a combination of files from different SM sets, ie. the single sided and double sided and bass-specific sets. And then some needle files. I have no problem buying tools. I'm a certified gear-head in other areas.