Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 01-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Hines is on a distinguished road
Default Luthier

Hi Ken

I had the pleasure of working opposite a young bass player that said he went to school with your son. Sandy is his name and he played wonderfully.

We are part of a relatively new Pops orchestra in the South Jersey area (Jersey Shore Pops). Sandy was on upright and I was on electric.

We are playing tomorrow evening at the Lansdale PAC so I don't think we will be too far from you.

Now for my question ....

Sandy said he purchased the bass he had from you and he let me try it out.

I was completely blown away with the sound and setup of the bass and he said that's the way he got it from you when he bought it a few years ago.

I have to say that is the most comfortable feeling/playing bass I have ever had the pleasure to play and sound projection was huge!

Would you maybe let me know who does your setups? I don't want to step on any toes and I would be very appreciative for any direction you could give me so here is my email: jhfishn@aol.com

I have a Shen SB150 and it so needs some love

Thanks so much!
Jim Hines
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hines View Post
Hi Ken

I had the pleasure of working opposite a young bass player that said he went to school with your son. Sandy is his name and he played wonderfully.

We are part of a relatively new Pops orchestra in the South Jersey area (Jersey Shore Pops). Sandy was on upright and I was on electric.

We are playing tomorrow evening at the Lansdale PAC so I don't think we will be too far from you.

Now for my question ....

Sandy said he purchased the bass he had from you and he let me try it out.

I was completely blown away with the sound and setup of the bass and he said that's the way he got it from you when he bought it a few years ago.

I have to say that is the most comfortable feeling/playing bass I have ever had the pleasure to play and sound projection was huge!

Would you maybe let me know who does your setups? I don't want to step on any toes and I would be very appreciative for any direction you could give me so here is my email: jhfishn@aol.com

I have a Shen SB150 and it so needs some love

Thanks so much!
Jim Hines
Just call me when you can. I probably did the set-up myself. I tweak all the bridges and nuts on the basses I play. I don't know what bass this is but it would help to know to answer your question.