Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Bows

I wish I could try playing several nice bows but ive never had the opportunity other than my nurnberger & some of my teachers bows. I've tried French & wanted to be a French player but I could never develop my grip without having serious pain after only an hour or so of playing. I have really big hands so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I like the attack you get from French bow but my German grip is coming along ok too.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
I wish I could try playing several nice bows but ive never had the opportunity other than my nurnberger & some of my teachers bows. I've tried French & wanted to be a French player but I could never develop my grip without having serious pain after only an hour or so of playing. I have really big hands so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I like the attack you get from French bow but my German grip is coming along ok too.
I played French for years and changed to German because of an injury - my brother had taken some German bow lessons with a guy in the NZSO and guided me. Now and again I try French just for fun, but I'd never go back.

"My hair in some spots is long gone and I still need a hair cut besides.
Still, I don't think it's long enough for a German bow.. "
I get it Ken, very good switch of hair type.