Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > French Bass School

Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Posting Member

Dave Whitla is on a distinguished road

Yes, a LOT of work! The sound is even better than before- warmer in ways I like. There isn't as much projection/power as before though, but that has been improving. Pirastro Passione strings sounded really amazing on it, but had no guts at all. Bel Cantos seems to be a good mix of sound and projection.

You mentioned the 2-5 years in an earlier post a while ago, and that has kept me sane (for which I thank you!!). Need to just keep playing it lots to get the new wood used to being a bass.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Posting Member

Dave Whitla is on a distinguished road

2.5 years post restoration and the bass is now projecting nicely. Spent a year with olive g and d strings, which sounded amazing but don't really stay in tune reliably. Trying Passione again but i'm not convinced. Do you think it's possible that an old bass like that can 'dislike' steel strings?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitla View Post
2.5 years post restoration and the bass is now projecting nicely. Spent a year with olive g and d strings, which sounded amazing but don't really stay in tune reliably. Trying Passione again but i'm not convinced. Do you think it's possible that an old bass like that can 'dislike' steel strings?
Old basses like old people like what they like. Hard to say without experimenting.