Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Welcome To SmithBassForums

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I have only 2 modes. In Mode 0 I think in binary. In mode 1 I think in intervals.

Bob, what is this in response to?

Old 03-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith View Post
I'm sure I can try One of the hardest parts about being a techie is how to cope with non-techies It's all about communication

I was playing on the fact that it's very hard to communicate with someone about a subject you know a lot about, with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Take a cpa and have him/her explain tax regulations to me and I'm quite lost as it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

Likewise, if I were to explain the difference between a time division multiplexer and a full adder, or a bipolar-junction transistor and a field effect transistor to the cpa, they would likely be totally lost.

Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.

That is the frustration that comes from trying to communicate with those who know nothing about computers. It's the same frustration they feel when they try to communicate with me about something they have extensive knowledge about that I don't.

My primary interests in life are computers(electronics in general and general science to a lesser extent) and bass guitar. Those are my 2 modes of operation. Mode 0, and mode 1.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Allrighty then....

Quote:
I was playing on the fact that it's very hard to communicate with someone about a subject you know a lot about, with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Take a cpa and have him/her explain tax regulations to me and I'm quite lost as it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

Likewise, if I were to explain the difference between a time division multiplexer and a full adder, or a bipolar-junction transistor and a field effect transistor to the cpa, they would likely be totally lost.

Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.

That is the frustration that comes from trying to communicate with those who know nothing about computers. It's the same frustration they feel when they try to communicate with me about something they have extensive knowledge about that I don't.

My primary interests in life are computers(electronics in general and general science to a lesser extent) and bass guitar. Those are my 2 modes of operation. Mode 0, and mode 1.

Well, that certainly clears that up. Makes perfect sense now!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Mike Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Very Interesting

This year in my computer science class, for the first time I was actually required to know base 2, 10, and 16, and be able to do math in any bass along with converting it back in forth Good stuff I tell you! Kind of like the saying..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I'm pretty sure less than 3 people on this forum understood that... btw..

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Now back on topic....

Anselm Hauke, you still having issues posting attachments at times? Is it only with specific images or just at random?

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Now back on topic....

Anselm Hauke, you still having issues posting attachments at times? Is it only with specific images or just at random?
no problems at the moment, thank you mike . but i didn´t try it again, so i can´t really say if the problems are gone...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Very Interesting

This year in my computer science class, for the first time I was actually required to know base 2, 10, and 16, and be able to do math in any bass along with converting it back in forth Good stuff I tell you!
What, no octal? Young whippersnappers not getting a schooling in octal anymore?

Quote:
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There's no place like localhost?

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What, no octal? Young whippersnappers not getting a schooling in octal anymore?

There's no place like localhost?
The AP-CS subset does not require us to know octal, so, I guess we're not learning it for that reason, were behind as it is, only got couple more months before AP test roles out, we're studying recursive algorithms as of now.

and yes, no place like localhost aka home

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Mike, I have Kodak Easy Share. I am sure that it is my lack of know-how, but I can't seem to post my pictures. I can send them via my email, no problem. I am usually directed to change the size. That's where I give up after trying to change the picture size.

I've been thinking about getting another camera, but maybe you can help me from what I said here?thanks, you're the man
I'm not Mike, obviously, but here's an idea - if you use a simple (often free) service like Flickr to host your photos, people can view your sets and choose the sizes that work best for them. Then you don't have to deal with different rules and systems for various forums or whatever.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up new favicon

i like the new favicon!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
i like the new favicon!
I'm glad someone noticed

Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bill Sallee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Very Interesting

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I'm pretty sure less than 3 people on this forum understood that... btw..
Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink hexadecimal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sallee View Post
Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?
Hey, speak English.. please..

Hexa what?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke
i like the new favicon!

(Mike)I'm glad someone noticed
Hey Mike, I noticed as soon as you told me.. lol
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
hah, why do you ask? I had to learn hex/dec/binary conversions in high school comp sci, so I wouldn't say its dead. Unless you're in the computer science field however I don't know where else you would see it.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Bill Sallee is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry Mike You Missed It

The answer is 57007.

DEAD in hex = 57007 decimal
Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The answer is 57007.

DEAD in hex = 57007 decimal
Yeah, I really didn't give that as much thought as I should have At first I thought you were saying do instead of if.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Junior Posting Member

Cliff Crosby is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike , I'm new in the forum but have been friends for some time. I tried to post photos in the gallery with no success . I have photos of a 6 string BT. Custom guitar Ken made for me over 25 years ago which Ken agrees should be included. It literally is one of a kind. The photos were rejected as too large and I'm not even certain of that. Help
Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Photobucket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Crosby View Post
Hi Mike , I'm new in the forum but have been friends for some time. I tried to post photos in the gallery with no success . I have photos of a 6 string BT. Custom guitar Ken made for me over 25 years ago which Ken agrees should be included. It literally is one of a kind. The photos were rejected as too large and I'm not even certain of that. Help
The best way to approach this: Sign-up on an image hosting source such as 'Photobucket' (free and very simple). Once you've signed up, upload your photo's into 'Photobucket' and then you will have options of how you want to display them here or elsewhere.

Here is the Photobucket link:

http://photobucket.com/

Closed Thread