Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Posting Member

Don Edge is on a distinguished road
Default Amp volume question

Is there an amp head that has the ability to turn the volume up in order to bring the level inside the unit up so the bass sound will improve yet have a volume level adjust that will enable you to still adjust it so it is not playing at max or the extreme level the amp is actually set at? I know this is strange question but there is a reason.

Don
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edge View Post
Is there an amp head that has the ability to turn the volume up in order to bring the level inside the unit up so the bass sound will improve yet have a volume level adjust that will enable you to still adjust it so it is not playing at max or the extreme level the amp is actually set at? I know this is strange question but there is a reason.

Don
What's the reason?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow ??

Quote:

Don
If you are referring to master volume and gain volume I have learned that the Master MUST be higher than the Gain or the sound will be distorted. If Master is on 7, then put gain on 5. Raise the master before you raise the gain. Equal at the most between the two but keep the gain under the master volume for the most part for the cleanest sound.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arrow Or......

Or, if you are trying to control spikes in volume while you are playing, compression is an option and there are heads out there that include compression in the chain. Some better than others.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If you are referring to master volume and gain volume I have learned that the Master MUST be higher than the Gain or the sound will be distorted. If Master is on 7, then put gain on 5. Raise the master before you raise the gain. Equal at the most between the two but keep the gain under the master volume for the most part for the cleanest sound.
Yes and no, Ken - your approach is correct if the desired sound is clean - and this isn'l always the case. Personally, I tend to run the master volume (on my SWR and Eden amps somewhere around 75% (and the imput level around 20% or 25% so that I can keep the sound as clean as possible. But for some gigs, I'll reverse that so that the input stage is at 75% or 80% and the master volume is at 20% or 25% so that the bass sound is pretty distorted but the actual stage volume is still under control. (I also either turn down or disable the tweeter that some idiot designer decided to add to most bass amps, but that's another discussion.)

Lesser amounts of distortion are achieved by balancing input and master volumes.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Yes and no, Ken - your approach is correct if the desired sound is clean - and this isn'l always the case. Personally, I tend to run the master volume (on my SWR and Eden amps somewhere around 75% (and the imput level around 20% or 25% so that I can keep the sound as clean as possible. But for some gigs, I'll reverse that so that the input stage is at 75% or 80% and the master volume is at 20% or 25% so that the bass sound is pretty distorted but the actual stage volume is still under control. (I also either turn down or disable the tweeter that some idiot designer decided to add to most bass amps, but that's another discussion.)

Lesser amounts of distortion are achieved by balancing input and master volumes.
Dave, are you using a "passive" or "active" bass with these settings?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Posting Member

The reason is the church I play in is stating I am too loud. Well the Fender Rumble 100, although not the best amp, sounds best at 3/4 volume with my bass at least past 1/2 volume. They had me so low the other day I mine as well be playing my old washburn with dead strings. I was trying to get the sound, attack, brightness, tone, without having to have the volume at that level. I turned the amp down and bass WAY up. It still sounds good but the volume issues are still there. I realize there are optimum levels that speakers really should be to sound the best. I don't think they do.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question Ahhh.......

Quote:
The reason is the church I play in is stating I am too loud. Well the Fender Rumble 100, although not the best amp, sounds best at 3/4 volume with my bass at least past 1/2 volume. They had me so low the other day I mine as well be playing my old washburn with dead strings. I was trying to get the sound, attack, brightness, tone, without having to have the volume at that level. I turned the amp down and bass WAY up. It still sounds good but the volume issues are still there. I realize there are optimum levels that speakers really should be to sound the best. I don't think they do.
Don, this is typical for most churches. Will need MUCH more information from you.

Tell us about your overall church worship team set-up:

1. What are the instruments, vocals, sound system, being used?
2. If the church has a good sound system, are you fortunate enough to have someone qualified running that sound system?
3. How big is the room?
4. Are you using monitors and if so, what kind/type?
5. If you have a drummer, is the drummer playing an acoustic or electronic set?
6. If you have a drummer and he is playing an acoustic set, is he behind a shield?
7. What size bass speaker are you using in your bass amp?
8. Does your bass amp have an XLR Output?
9. Etc.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-25-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Posting Member

The instruments are drums (acoustic), guitar (acoustic or electric), and/or piano. I am using a 15 inch speaker with a tweater (nonadjustable). THe drummer is behind a shield but they may a) enclose him completely, which I don't like, or b) mike the drums so he can hit them less hard. He just put acrylic heads on them so they are louder. (BTW he player with George Straight and Waylon Jeninngs). He wants to be enclosed. My amp does an XLR output and I use it to go to the house. The board and system is all wrong and a sound guy is coming in. The church has 27 foot high ceilings, wood floors, a rock wall where the instruments and improperly installed sound deadening material on the side walls. It is a great echo chamber when no one is there. They are fixing the material on the sides. They are using peavey monitors (std looking and size). I am not in the monitors since I am plenty loud. The three of us sound really good togther and click. We just have to get the sound straight. Hope this helps. I was going to get an Eden WT 550 head and a decent cab but think that is serious overkill for that church. We have four house speakers on the ceiling that are chained. The sound engineer will be unchaining them for independent volume controls. That is also a volume issue. That is one reason I can not be in the house, I over power everything. Amp recommendations would be nice. I have a tendency to by good stuff and keep it, ie: my Pedulla. I do like versatility.

Don
Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
The instruments are drums (acoustic), guitar (acoustic or electric), and/or piano. I am using a 15 inch speaker with a tweater (nonadjustable). THe drummer is behind a shield but they may a) enclose him completely, which I don't like, or b) mike the drums so he can hit them less hard. He just put acrylic heads on them so they are louder. (BTW he player with George Straight and Waylon Jeninngs). He wants to be enclosed.
Don
Having the drums enclosed and properly mic'd will certainly help control the stage volume, which should help you and others adjust accordingly. Under the current circumstances, this is a good thing.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question 15'.....

Quote:
I am using a 15 inch speaker with a tweater (nonadjustable).
Don
The 15 may be too much for your current set-up challenges. 12's and/or 10's could help you hear yourself better on stage. Have you tried getting your bass mix through your monitors? Once the drummer is completely enclosed, you should give this a try; at least in the interim, until your overall sound upgrades occur.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Posting Member

Wonderful...I got the 15 because I have tried 12's before and the B string just won't cut it. I haven't tried good 12s or 10s. That is one reason I was thinking of getting an amp head with a separate cab. I thought I may have better control with the head and say a 210 cab. ??
Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
My amp does an XLR output and I use it to go to the house. The board and system is all wrong and a sound guy is coming in. The church has 27 foot high ceilings, wood floors, a rock wall where the instruments and improperly installed sound deadening material on the side walls. It is a great echo chamber when no one is there. They are fixing the material on the sides.
Don
This is a problem. Once it is addressed, you'll be on your way to better sound control.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I was going to get an Eden WT 550 head and a decent cab but think that is serious overkill for that church.

Don
The WT-550 is a great head and I would highly recommend getting it or the WT-405. As far as cabs: Look at Eden's 210XLT, 210XST, 212XLT, and 410XLT's. These cabinets are VERY efficient with SPL ratings in the 106db range. Stick with 8 ohm cabs as you will have more coverage options down the road with the WT-550's ability to run at 2 ohms. Don't worry about "too loud" with this set-up. You can NEVER have enough headroom in your bass rig set-up. Think of it as having all the control you will need for most any room. It's not always about volume given the right set-up.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Wonderful...I got the 15 because I have tried 12's before and the B string just won't cut it. I haven't tried good 12s or 10s. That is one reason I was thinking of getting an amp head with a separate cab. I thought I may have better control with the head and say a 210 cab. ??
The Eden 210XST is designed with low-end in mind. With the WT-5550, the combination of the 210XST and 212XLT (8 ohm cabs) is likely all you would need for coverage in most rooms.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Posting Member

Wink

Quote:
Also, it's not just the speaker size, but the quality of the speaker and cabinet design. There's alot of junk out there. It pays to spend the extra $'s and get quality equipment.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Posting Member

12's and/or 10's could help you hear yourself better on stage.

Funny you should say that, I could not hear myself very well at all last Sunday. I looked at the WT-405, on-line, and read the entire "amp" thread. I haven't heard of anyone using the WT-405, at that I can find. Is it a good head and will it give good tone with plenty of options? I don't see much difference over the 550. Maybe some tweaking ability. What do they normally go for?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Posting Member

So with the WT-405 or 550 and the XLT or XST I could play at lower volumes and get the sound, or better sound, than I am currently getting?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
12's and/or 10's could help you hear yourself better on stage.

Funny you should say that, I could not hear myself very well at all last Sunday. I looked at the WT-405, on-line, and read the entire "amp" thread. I haven't heard of anyone using the WT-405, at that I can find. Is it a good head and will it give good tone with plenty of options? I don't see much difference over the 550. Maybe some tweaking ability. What do they normally go for?
Under your current circumstances, I totally understand why you are having trouble hearing yourself.

I have both the 550 and 405. Both heads are great. If I chose between the two, I'd go with the 405. Why? There are more options on the 405 (including a studio quality compressor) and two inputs. Both the 550 and 405 will run at 2 ohms and are close in output level.

Here's a link. Go check them out.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/prod...mps/index.aspx

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
So with the WT-405 or 550 and the XLT or XST I could play at lower volumes and get the sound, or better sound, than I am currently getting?
Yes. You still have all the other sounds issues within the church that are being addressed. But at a minimum, you will be way ahead of where you are now.