Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Question unknown (good) bow, stamp nearly worn away

So I've had this great bow for years now, and it's old and very well worn. So much so that the stamp, while partially visible, is illegible. I've tried everything short of a microscope and can't make it out, and nobody else has been able to either. I haven't really put a lot of effort into it, but several luthiers have examined it and just shrugged.

I bought the bow from a major US dealer when I spotted it lurking, forgotten and buried at the back of a bench; I asked for it to be haired on a whim, and it blew away every other bow in the place, including some very pricey examples. Nobody there knew what it was or where it came from, or even cared much, so I kept my mouth shut, negotiated a very fair price and it's the only bow I've cared to use since...

But of course I'm curious what the thing is; anybody have a tip on how to get a better look at the stamp? About the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is a blacklight and I can't find mine at the moment; think that'd help anyway?

I can post some high res photos if anybody wants to have a gander or hazard a guess...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool pics..

Post pics of the Head, both sides as well as the frog. Some bow stamps are shops only and not the actual maker. Some are just stamps with nothing to do with the maker. Bow experts like Raffin in Paris or maybe Chris Brown in Mn. could possibly shed some light on it.

Don't make the Pics too big. Life sized at most or slightly bigger for the stamp only. Also, what have you been told so far about it?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Posting Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4978178...57624137957346

Here's a link to the set of images; that way you can pick your size and I won't plug up the forum...

I haven't really been told anything about the bow, but like I say; I haven't pursued it much since I have no intention of selling it. The number engraved on the stick under the frog indicates that it belonged to maybe a conservatory or other organization I guess, and other players have agreed that it's rather good. I've turned down a couple of offers to buy it from me.

I managed to get one good shot of the stamp and now I remember that it looks to start with a squiggly mark and probably the letters H.A. and then perhaps an "S"... not sure.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question German?

I thought it was a French bow. I don't know much about German Bow makers personally. Show this to Chris Brown or Sue Lipkins and maybe they can help you. That's all I can advise, sorry.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for looking Ken; maybe someone else will have a thought.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Senior Posting Member

Sue Lipkins was kind enough to take a look and offer her opinion - she says it appears to be a commercial German made bow of some sort. Oh well!

I still haven't had any luck on deciphering the stamp, so if anybody has a trick that might help I'd still be interested...
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb commercial..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Sue Lipkins was kind enough to take a look and offer her opinion - she says it appears to be a commercial German made bow of some sort. Oh well!

I still haven't had any luck on deciphering the stamp, so if anybody has a trick that might help I'd still be interested...
Commercial means they stamp what ever name they make up that day. You are looking for a Ghost! What Sue probably meant is that there is no such person with a name like that OR, if there is, it means very little. I would go with the Fictitious name and let it rest. So many sellers and shops over time have had names stamped into Bows for the sake of selling something that the other guy doesn't have. The next shop down the street has the exact same Bows with a different name in them.

Look at all the Chinese stuff sold today with German and Italian names. Some are names of real people and some not. Years ago I was at the VSA Violin convention here in Pa. and had lunch with a couple of dealers. One was bragging how well he did in his shop with Violin Bows. He would have a bunch made and put some name on them, real or imagined. Then, the next batch would have a different name on them. Today we have so much junk on the market that some people are hoping to find that maker in Germany or Italy somewhere. Too bad, because most of them weren't even born yet!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Senior Posting Member

Yes, I realize that the name isn't going to be that of an actual maker or anything and that it probably isn't of any use whatsoever. That really doesn't bother me much since my only interest is just to satisfy my own curiosity; it really doesn't matter what the bow is, what it might be worth, or any of that - for me, having an instrument or any piece of gear that I happen to like and not knowing what it is just creates a little "itch" at the back of my mind, you know... and if nothing else, having 1/4 of the stamp staring me in the face doesn't help... so any little bit of information would just be interesting is all. Simple as that.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink the itch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Yes, I realize that the name isn't going to be that of an actual maker or anything and that it probably isn't of any use whatsoever. That really doesn't bother me much since my only interest is just to satisfy my own curiosity; it really doesn't matter what the bow is, what it might be worth, or any of that - for me, having an instrument or any piece of gear that I happen to like and not knowing what it is just creates a little "itch" at the back of my mind, you know... and if nothing else, having 1/4 of the stamp staring me in the face doesn't help... so any little bit of information would just be interesting is all. Simple as that.
Believe me, that 'itch' is not all that uncommon. Actually, more often than not we question 'what is'.