Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default How tight is your bow?

I was practising the other day and working on tone. I suddenly got back into investigating something I had overlooked for quite a while - how tight my bow hair was. Now, I'm no scientist but, it makes sense that hair on a looser bow will make contact with more of the surface area of the string. I loosened my bow until I could easily push it onto the string and make the middle of the stick touch the hair - probably not a good test for German bows, but mine is an ex-French bow and the luthier designed the frog a little differently to keep the balance of the bow pretty much the same as it was as a French bow.
I was just wondering if anyone out there had thoughts on bow tightness, or had a system (eg. 3 complete winds) to keep the tightness of their bow regular.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool How tight?

Depends on how you play. You don't want the hair dragging on the stick. That will break hairs. Play your hardest ffff with the bow and tighten it until your hairs do not hit the string. This can be altered depending on what you are actually playing. Stronger/harder players tighten the bow more on average than lighter players. On average is the key as players do what they like or feel they need. You can do the same. Do what works best for you. No rules here per say.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Senior Posting Member

Come on Ken, we humans make up rules for everything. Maybe we need to formulate bow tightening rules?
Well, as a guide.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Somewhere in the middle? You don't want a tight kilt, nor a loose one, for obvious reasons.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Well put Terry!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but tightening your bow is something that is so simple it really can't be explained. I mean, if it "bottoms out" it's too loose, and if it's too tight, well, it's too tight. If your bow doesn't seem to be working, you're probably a lot better off looking at your technique or maybe your bow just sucks.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but tightening your bow is something that is so simple it really can't be explained. I mean, if it "bottoms out" it's too loose, and if it's too tight, well, it's too tight. If your bow doesn't seem to be working, you're probably a lot better off looking at your technique or maybe your bow just sucks.
I think there is a bit more to it than that. After some time, the hair will stretch from the frog little by little. Tightening the stick is harder when you have less room to tighten it from the hair being stretched.Also, the balance of the bow (in playing it) changes as the frog moved further towards the screw and away from the grip. I have one bow that has a very stiff stick and a fairly big camber. Tightening that bow is not so easy because the hair has been in there a long time (what hair is left), and I can barely get the hair off the stick when tightening it.

I know bows and know them well. Some just need some TLC so they work better. Also as you say, there are some not-so-great bows out there in use as well. That can make things difficult regardless of the hair condition.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Senior Posting Member

Fair enough. All the more reason to get regular rehairs. Assuming you have a luthier who does a good, consistent job anyway.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Fair enough. All the more reason to get regular rehairs. Assuming you have a luthier who does a good, consistent job anyway.
I have to confess that I don't get my Bows re-haired as often as I should and never have. I have gone years on my main bows now and back in my earlier days as well. I just seem to get used to the Bow and wait till the last minute. I had a re-hair recently on my Eibert Sartory model. The hair on there was about 7 years old or more. My Lipkins Sartory needs a re-hair as well but just can't seem to let it out of my hands to get it done. The Lipkins hair is 4 years old. My old Sartory may have had 1 or 2 re-hairs in 15 years that I can recall back in my early days.

Like the saying goes, 'do as I say, not as I do'. Get re-hairs as needed even if you have to ship the bow out to do so.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Senior Posting Member

I think rehairing technique and hair quality/variety are something (well, among many things) that are really lacking or absent, at least in the US. It may seem like a minor thing, but bow hair, at least to the orchestra player, is a pretty big deal!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Interesting. It's probably closer to seven years since I had my bow rehaired. It still seems to play fine and there is plenty of hair. Are you saying that the hair 'wears out'?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

For sure. Not only does it stretch, like Ken says, but rosin builds up and it just plain gets dirty and worn out.

I say that if you play with the same bow every day, it should be rehaired once a year. Naturally I don't follow my own advice, but every time I get a rehair I wish I'd done it sooner!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Joshua phelps

Default Bow/question for Ken...

I have a great nurnberger its one made by his son but still my prized possesion since im poor the bow needs a rehair badly I think the hair has been on for about ten years & rather than breaking lots of hairs it's just so smooth it won't grab no matter how much rosin you put on (I'm sure pops would work). Where do you guys get your bows rehaired? Also Ken what style bow do you use?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

Unless you live in a major urban center and know who to go to, I'd say just send your bow to one of the well know shops and have it done. If you call, they'll send you a tube to ship it in.

And for the record, Pops rosin is a sticky disaster, at least in my opinion and that of many others. I've found that it makes a mess of bow hair, the top of your bass, the inside of your bass bag/bow case, carpet, and anything else it comes near.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
I have a great nurnberger its one made by his son but still my prized possesion since im poor the bow needs a rehair badly I think the hair has been on for about ten years & rather than breaking lots of hairs it's just so smooth it won't grab no matter how much rosin you put on (I'm sure pops would work). Where do you guys get your bows rehaired? Also Ken what style bow do you use?
Many of the Bows here I have used personally; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/bows/
Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Reply to Thomas & ken

Thomas - I agree on pops. I tried a cake pops & it melted in my studio in the dead of winter. It is a huge mess & especially for the top. I love oak rosin all around plus the added benefit of just taking a soft cloth to go over the top after practice & the very occasional polish to clean my bass & not having to use something way more harse like kolsteins to get huge clumps of rosin off. Ken - you play french & German bows? Which do you prefer?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Joshua phelps

Default Bows

Ken - I just realized that there were like 20 French & only 1 german & those were ksb bows. Guess I have my answer
Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

ONLY French, and good ones. My old Bow was a Sartory. It doesn't get better than that at any price.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
For sure. Not only does it stretch, like Ken says, but rosin builds up and it just plain gets dirty and worn out.

I say that if you play with the same bow every day, it should be rehaired once a year. Naturally I don't follow my own advice, but every time I get a rehair I wish I'd done it sooner!
Oops, I need a rehair!
My hair has been on far too long; though it still sounds good.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink (off topic, lol.. rank had its privileges)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Oops, I need a rehair!
My hair has been on far too long; though it still sounds good.
My hair in some spots is long gone and I still need a hair cut besides.

Still, I don't think it's long enough for a German bow..