Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Heather Kulaga is on a distinguished road
Default Dropped my bass - knob loose

Didn't zip up my gig bag, lifted it up and dropped my KS 6 string on our wooden kitchen floor. I'm still sick about it. Checked it out, all seemed fine, went to rehearsal, played it at home a few more days, and changed the strings tonight.

Just wiping it down, I turned it over and the volume knob fell off! I've never had anything like that happen. I plugged the bass in, and with the knob in, the volume control is working - but I have no idea how it attaches. It just comes off easily in my hand now. It could be unrelated to the fall, but I'm afraid that the volume knob itself might have taken the brunt of the fall, knocking something loose.

The bass works fine, no problems, just a knob that comes off easily in my hands. I leave in less than a week for Memphis -- so I'm nervous. Does anyone know anything about how these knobs are attached?

Thank you so much for any help or advice you can give me as far as making sure it doesn't fall off in the middle of a gig next week. What would you do?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Kulaga View Post
Didn't zip up my gig bag, lifted it up and dropped my KS 6 string on our wooden kitchen floor. I'm still sick about it. Checked it out, all seemed fine, went to rehearsal, played it at home a few more days, and changed the strings tonight.

Just wiping it down, I turned it over and the volume knob fell off! I've never had anything like that happen. I plugged the bass in, and with the knob in, the volume control is working - but I have no idea how it attaches. It just comes off easily in my hand now. It could be unrelated to the fall, but I'm afraid that the volume knob itself might have taken the brunt of the fall, knocking something loose.

The bass works fine, no problems, just a knob that comes off easily in my hands. I leave in less than a week for Memphis -- so I'm nervous. Does anyone know anything about how these knobs are attached?

Thank you so much for any help or advice you can give me as far as making sure it doesn't fall off in the middle of a gig next week. What would you do?
Look at the other knobs. 2 screws hold them on the shaft of the pot. Call or email me.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Junior Posting Member

Heather Kulaga is on a distinguished road
Default Volume Knob

I sent a private message, but couldn't figure out how to attach a photo there -- but I also sent an email to support@kensmithbasses.com with this photo attached, so I'm hoping one way or another I've gotten this info to you, thank you so much.

The post is still in the knob.

Heather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(59).JPG
Views:	729
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	2925  
Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Hajime Hirose is on a distinguished road
Default Pot

I think you need to replace pot.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

All settled, Pot is on the way to the repair shop.

Tags
volume knob