Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road

If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-07-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

I bought mine because it seemed perfect. Perfect feel, perfect sound, perfect look. I truly think it would be hard for me to ever own another brand of bass.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

Good reason to buy and I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Tim as always your on point, but with one exception to the issue, "Smith" basses are looked upon as a status symbol of excellence in craftmanship by those who don't own them, but to players such as myself, I simply love the tone. Bass players that come to my place of worship begin to salavate when ever I bring out my WBT 5EG or my Tiger Wood 4, but to me it's all about the feel. Each bass player is in search for that axe that brings forth the sound that they hear within them. For me that's "Smith" (Though I must admit I love the look on their faces when they see my "Smith") Either way you look at it, intentional or not, the "Smith" Bass name carries an assumption upon the individual who plays it.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Tim as always your on point, but with one exception to the issue, "Smith" basses are looked upon as a status symbol of excellence in craftmanship by those who don't own them, but to players such as myself, I simply love the tone. Bass players that come to my place of worship begin to salavate when ever I bring out my WBT 5EG or my Tiger Wood 4, but to me it's all about the feel. Each bass player is in search for that axe that brings forth the sound that they hear within them. For me that's "Smith" (Though I must admit I love the look on their faces when they see my "Smith") Either way you look at it, intentional or not, the "Smith" Bass name carries an assumption upon the individual who plays it.

There's no argument about the "excellence in craftmanship", sound, feel or anything else as such related to a Smith bass. The point I was attempting to make was that of "status symbol" as conveyed in the initial start-up thread. Given that, I would invite all those that have or haven't read my response above to visit or revisit it.

As far as "assumptions made on the individual who plays it", well, we all know what happens when we assume....: )

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-09-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
There's no argument about the "excellence in craftmanship", sound, feel or anything else as such related to a Smith bass. The point I was attempting to make was that of "status symbol" as conveyed in the initial start-up thread. Given that, I would invite all those that have or haven't read my response above to visit or revisit it.
No doubt, No doubt without question big brother Tim I gottcha, I understood your intent and concede to your original point.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
No doubt, No doubt without question big brother Tim I gottcha, I understood your intent and concede to your original point.
Great! Just wanted to be clear with those that weren't.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

BobWankowski is on a distinguished road

Form truly follows function for me and I say that having played and owned most of the "Status Symbol" basses since 1977. (Including 6 high end Alembics, 5 of which had neck problems.)

The Smith's sound right, play as if they were made for me and are expertly crafted and built to last. In my opinion they are a bargain the way they are priced as many of the "Status Symbol" basses cost easily twice as much.

I'd play the Smith's even if they were ugly. (Though I'm not unhappy they are not. )
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

I think Smith's are perfect basses. I play them exclusively because they are perfect basses. To me Smith basses (as well as my Eden rigs) only prove to any one that I will only accept perfect tone. Beyond that there are other basses that would be more fitting status symbols. This is just my opinion for whatever it's worth. Are they dream machines...indeed they are.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.