Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Um, I think he meant "seque," or in transition from one topic to another.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok, Back on Topic..

I put a new set of the medium/blue Jargars on my Uebel the other night and I think this is the best this bass has sounded with the Bow. I even tuned it down to Eb and then Db to see if I can take it to a concert next week. We will have 8 basses in the section and I wont know till next rehearsal in a few days how tight the stage will be. My Hart (with Jargars) which I used in the Orchestra last week (my first time playing with them) is only an inch wider overall. To avoid getting the Hart bumped, I might just bring the Uebel and tune down and back up as I need. Wont be the first time I've done that but since having a C-extension on most or my basses I rarely use a bass without one in Orchestra.

I actually like how the low notes sound tuned down on the Uebel. The thicker E works great for this but the Uebel is a D-neck and the Hart is an Eb which for me works better for the way I play and cross strings on the D and A strings on some passages. I can reach the upper notes on the G better as well and the Heel is the smallest of all my basses so works best for the transition to the upper notes as well.

Today I have another rehearsal, different Orchestra (playing in 3 of them now) and we are doing Beethoven 7. I looked at some of the music and see I need the extension for this as well. Later I have to play Beeth. 2nd in my main orch. and then the 9th in the new orch. I just started in. It seems I can't get away from the C-extension but if I did, the Uebel tuned down would sound as good as most basses with Extensions I think with these Jargars.

With all that music to work on, I still have to work in the shop till at least 5pm daily as a minimum.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb changing strings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
On a side note I wanted to ask you all since I don't have a reputable Luthier anywhere near me how do you guys swap your strings? Is it ok to do them one at a time? If I do it that way do I risk cracking my top or having to fool with my sound post?
I take one off and put one on. The strings will be on the bass for a long long time so take your time and do it carefully. Don't rush. There is no benefit in that. Just one at a time works fine.

I also gently wipe the string after tuning it and then bow on it a little to hear how they compare after each string is on. With one new one on and 3 old or 3 new and one old or, 2 and 2, you can see how they compare quite easily. I kind of enjoy that part of putting a new string type on.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I take one off and put one on. The strings will be on the bass for a long long time so take your time and do it carefully. Don't rush. There is no benefit in that. Just one at a time works fine.

I also gently wipe the string after tuning it and then bow on it a little to hear how they compare after each string is on. With one new one on and 3 old or 3 new and one old or, 2 and 2, you can see how they compare quite easily. I kind of enjoy that part of putting a new string type on.
Yeah, you're right, that is a nice way to do it. I've just put new EP Weichs on my bass. They feel slightly thicker that the spiros - a nice feeling. I think they'll be fun.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Jargar's #3

Tonight I put a set of Jargar Dolce/green silked strings that I got last year but haven't had the need to try them. I took off the Kaplans from the Hart and replaced them one string at a time. Each string going on felt like the bass was moving closer to the sound I like most. These are lighter in gauge than the medium/blue Jargar set but do not feel or sound thin like other solo sets do. I will have the Summer to play on them and decide if they stay on for the season starting in the fall.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ahh..

Quote:
Tonight I put a set of Jargar Dolce/green silked strings that I got last year but haven't had the need to try them. I took off the Kaplans from the Hart and replaced them one string at a time. Each string going on felt like the bass was moving closer to the sound I like most. These are lighter in gauge than the medium/blue Jargar set but do not feel or sound thin like other solo sets do. I will have the Summer to play on them and decide if they stay on for the season starting in the fall.
Tonight I pulled out that Dolce set of Jargars and put them on my Panormo school bass just a few hours after putting on the new Flex Dlx set which were just too bright for my ears on that bass.

The Jargars have that darker smooth sound that bow like butter. They are just a bot softer in volume but the other qualities make up for that. This is the 3rd time (that I remember!) putting this same set on a bass. I have a concert coming up in a few weeks and I need a bass with a C-extension and I have to play into the upper register for a few notes on one of the pieces in spots. My Hart would be ideal but it's in the shop getting some work done so I have to pick another bass.

This next concert is only 2 basses and we have to be smooth together on those upper notes. I feel the Jargars are my best bet with the Panormo school bass. It's big, but it's playable. I will know after the first rehearsal if I need to change basses. I miss the Hart but I can play 'Papa Bear', our nick name for the 4/4 Panormo school bass.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Posting Member

Dave Whitla is on a distinguished road

Have you had a chance to compare Jargar to Passione? From the sound of it, they both have a beautiful sound, but slightly less volume/power than other strings. On my bass I really loved the sound of Passiones, but Bel Cantos sound almost as nice (but different) with much better projection. Your description of the Jargars makes me curious, but then again trying strings is such a can of worms...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Jargar to Passione?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitla View Post
Have you had a chance to compare Jargar to Passione? From the sound of it, they both have a beautiful sound, but slightly less volume/power than other strings. On my bass I really loved the sound of Passiones, but Bel Cantos sound almost as nice (but different) with much better projection. Your description of the Jargars makes me curious, but then again trying strings is such a can of worms...
On the Jargar to Passione question, I haven't done and special tests between them but I do feel they are different. The Jargars come in 3 gauges and in each gauge, the E string seems too big to me. Also, they are not that fat apart in size either between the 3 sets.

This is what the emailed me back when I inquired about the gauges from the heaviest to lightest;

G – 1,33 – 1,31 – 1,26
D - 1,64 – 1,64 – 1,60
A – 2,03 – 2,02 – 1,98
E - 2,80 - 2,79 – 2,76
Ext.2,96 – 2,95 – 2,85

Above #s are in millimeters I believe. For inches, divide by 2.54. Rounded to 3 digits;

G- .052" - .051" - .049"
D- .064" - .064" - .063"
A- .080" - .079" - .078"
E- .110" - .109" - .108"

XE-.117" - .116" - .112"

For me, I prefer my Es much thinner than listed above and they always feel heavy to me within each set. I might try to make a set with the Forte/heavy 3-strings and the Dolce/light E and see how that works but honestly, I have used them very little outside of here in the office so I am not totally sure.

The Passiones are better balanced but I feel the E is light on that set rather then heavy. I have tried the regular set with the Stark E if I felt the need to have the E stronger on that particular bass.

Right now if I had to run out and do a gig and I had to choose only between Jargars and Passiones, I would go with the Passiones and either use the Stark E or the Stark set unless the bass was tight and then the regular set.

For tone, the Jargars are sweeter I think regardless. Just not balanced for me as well and softer sound matching its softer feel.

It is a tough choice.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Posting Member

I felt the same about the Passione long E. Thinking about it, on most Pirastro strings I have used in the past the E has not been as good in sound or feel as the other three, with the exception of Evah Pirazzi (and way back, when they had Flexocor 91 and 92- the 91 E was great, and then they discontinued it or changed it ). I really like the Bel Canto extended E but, as you say, it's a bit thick compared to the other three. I don't mind thick strings per se- I really like the feel of Eps, but for me the relative thicknesses from G to E are better.

Would you consider a Bel Canto E with Jargar or Passione top three? Or are they too different?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitla View Post
I felt the same about the Passione long E. Thinking about it, on most Pirastro strings I have used in the past the E has not been as good in sound or feel as the other three, with the exception of Evah Pirazzi (and way back, when they had Flexocor 91 and 92- the 91 E was great, and then they discontinued it or changed it ). I really like the Bel Canto extended E but, as you say, it's a bit thick compared to the other three. I don't mind thick strings per se- I really like the feel of Eps, but for me the relative thicknesses from G to E are better.

Would you consider a Bel Canto E with Jargar or Passione top three? Or are they too different?
Bel E is too thick? I said that Jargar is or meant to. The Bel E is fine but the regular E is a bit soft on some basses.

Mixing the Jargars, I think they have 3 gauges to make up sets from and balance it as you would maybe like but into you try, you wont know. Also, this will vary from bass to bass and player to player.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Bel E is too thick?
Not TOO thick, just thicker relatively in comparison to the top three. Best sounding long E I've tried, along with the medium EP. Different, of course, but both good in their own way.