Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 06-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
As you say Ken, machines change. Especially when basses change from three to four strings as all of these early nineteenth century English basses have done. The idea of Lott making his own machines comes, amongst others, from Tom Martin. As he's probably seen and played more top quality basses than anyone else on the planet, I tend to go with him!
Lott 'making' his own machines and 'having them made' as in subcontracting are two different things. Regardless of all he (Tom Martin) has played, I have my own beliefs and ideas. No one I know is with out fault or mistake in the old bass ID game, no one!

Study if you can the Life of the 'English Born' John Lott (b.1775-76 and christened in 1776 in London, a year after his parents were married in that same church) and see what you come up with on where and who he worked for. The ability to make Gears is not something you do in a wood-type shop. You just don't go make a set here and there!

His father was John Lott as well, NOT a violin maker and MAY have been from Germany so the whole Lott is German thing is totally false unless we are talking blood line! This was discovered on or about 1998 and printed in the book 'The British Violin' from the convention of that year.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Mortimore is on a distinguished road

a point I remember Tony made at the end of the auction was that he would have to pay at least x2 the hammer price to other bidders he had payed off not to bid on this bass.. funny old game... but I guess if if puts this bass up for sale in his shop for £80k and above he will be in profit.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Shaw is on a distinguished road

I would imagine, Jim, that Tony will want a lot more than £80,000 for it. The last time I spoke to him was about a year ago, and he was looking for over £100,000 for most of his nicest basses. As for machine making Ken, Baker made both basses and machines so it can be done I guess.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

the bass looks like a kennedy to me.