Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Junior Posting Member

Elijah Copeland is on a distinguished road
Question English Bass?

Well, I have here a double bass that has similar characteristics to a bass by George Corsby ( http://www.the-double-bass.co.uk/2488_front.htm). The similarities: overall outline, outer linings, final turn in the volutes acsends slightly outward, break in the back in the same spot, f's of similar shape, original neck and scroll(beech originally 3 strings).
The varnish is not original, some small sections of the top and the ribs have been replaced. The tuners and plates are of a latter period and nailed in. I believe the ribs and back are both sycamore and all of the back braces are original and intact.
TheClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2723.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	839

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2717.JPG
Views:	652
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	840
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

First off, thanks for posting. We love seeing old Basses regardless of origin or pedigree.

I have looked at that London Corsby 100s of times in the last few years for personal reasons. I personally do not see the similarities that you speak of other then both Basses having outer Rib moldings.

I have seen many many German Basses, nice ones usually with similar looking outer moldings. English Basses from this early period were usually fairly large as far as the broad shoulders go and also the overall size. Maybe you can post the normal measurements for comparison purposes.

The Early English basses from the Corsby period are either Cello shaped, Maggini shaped or large Gamba shaped with fairly broad shoulders. This bass of yours to me looks German. The smoking gun you have is that neck/scroll of beechwood. That is almost always a German/Tirol feature.

Many basses shown on other websites are often attributed to the makers named rather then confirmed beyond doubt. This is not to say that they are always wrong. I am just pointing to the scenario of using an uncertified example of a maker to ID some other unknown instrument.

I would also like to see pics of the Back and Ribs, full length and closeups of any details in those areas.

If the Corsby Bass you show similar in any way it would be good to know that the English makers were strong subscribers to the German model Basses as far as the Gambas go as well as some of the Cello models.

I have a Bass of unknown origin that has been called just about everything you can imagine in the early stages of the ID process. Once I sent pictures over to all of the London dealers I could find on the web, the reports started coming back as English, 19th century and north or midlands for the most part. After the bass came apart and was examined close up, its true age started to reveal itself and the age of the bass pushed back almost a century. Also, it has been moved south to the London-Hill School rather then the possible Northern makers. This happened over a period of about 5 years. Be patient..

On Corsby, I would like to mention that there are two of them known. One up to about 1780 in Northamption known for Double basses principally. The other is George Corsby who dates from about 1785 (to 1800 or 1830 depending on who you read) in London. It is speculated by some that they were brothers. The London Corsby turned into a dealer mainly but was a maker at the start in London. My theory? Well, the dates do 'not' overlap. Could it be the same guy that moved to London and finished his years dealing like many of the elders in this business? The work of these two are reported to be similar.

I often thought my Bass could be a Corsby as well but seeing one single Bass that might be by him and reading the names in a few books is far short of a positive ID!