Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 08-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Zecchinelli View Post
Thank you Tim,
I'm glad you appreciate my little mod..
I was waiting for comments like
"!!did you fu&%$ as$&@§% drill a HOLE in a Ken Smith!!?"
I think It would be nice if Ken would put both locks on their basses
so one can choose wich better fits his playing style.
Roberto
(P.S. Tim, I love your collection!!!)
Thank you Roberto, it's a great idea and I like it.

I'm glad you enjoy my collection; I know I do. You only saw a portion, but If you check out my profile you'll see the list of others.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Junior Posting Member

Roberto Zecchinelli is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Roberto Zecchinelli
Default did this post already die?

I tought it's interesting..
I'd really like to have Ken's feedback about this topic..
Roberto
Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Willie Williams is on a distinguished road

The only discomfort I have is trying to play around my spare tire that has grown over the years.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow spare tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williams View Post
The only discomfort I have is trying to play around my spare tire that has grown over the years.
I hear you LOUD N CLEAR..

I could just say 'been there, done that' but for me more like 'been there, STILL there'.

Just too busy and too lazy to do much about it.

More lazy than busy I guess.

My TV in my 'personal room' of the house just died.

The Tread Mill is a few feet away from it and has its own TV on it.

Maybe it's some kind of omen to make me go from 'couch potato' to 'steamed potato'..lol..

You think?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I hear you LOUD N CLEAR..

I could just say 'been there, done that' but for me more like 'been there, STILL there'.

Just too busy and too lazy to do much about it.

More lazy than busy I guess.

My TV in my 'personal room' of the house just died.

The Tread Mill is a few feet away from it and has its own TV on it.

Maybe it's some kind of omen to make me go from 'couch potato' to 'steamed potato'..lol..

You think?
Too funny! And man, can I relate!

We have an Eliptical and the most work I've done on that thing is repairing it for my wife.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Willie Williams is on a distinguished road

It is really time for me to do something. I am 6' 1" tall and when I met my wife 17 years ago I was in great shape and weighed 195 pounds. I now tip the scales at 260.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Don't feel lonely.. I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 270.. I have plenty of spare tire.. I gave up on trying to get to a lesser weight.. I tried for years back in the 90's but no matter what I did my body would adjust metabolism and return me to the 250-270 range.

It came to a head when I went extreme trying to lose weight and managed to get down to 180 by exercising like mad and eating nothing but 1 small meal a day. Even at that level my weight went back up to 250 over the course of a couple of months and at that point I started passing out because I wasn't taking in enough food to support a 250 pound frame.

Whether I eat nothing and exercise a ton, or eat everything in site and sit in my recliner, I stay at and around the 250 mark.. So I just gave up and eat what I want. I still exercise a bit, but I don't go overboard.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 11-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

For me, the necks are critical. I like the Smith necks, they're chunky and my hand doesn't cramp up as much. However, the action isn't as low as on my other basses though and this is also important as I have a light touch. Maybe I need to get the frets re-dressed or something.

String spacing is important too. I prefer narrow spacing (around 16.5mm at the bridge) but enhancements that let a player customise the set up to their taste have to be a good thing. On one of my other basses I have 'compensated' string spacing where the gaps between the strings stay the same, despite the string getting thinner as they go across the fingerboard. This is a really, really nice bit of design for helping to make the bass feel consistent across the strings. I'd also like a bridge which allows 3d movement of the strings and an adjustable nut like that on Warwick basses.

The other important aspect for me is body width. I'm a big bloke (6'4") although not as big as some, and enough body width allows my forearm to get support when I need it. I accept thats not to everyone's taste but there again Fender Jazz basses are relatively wide and we all know how popular they are.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Gilbert Zarate is on a distinguished road
Default Dual strap loc option...

Roberto, great suggestion! I would agree 100%. Not that Smith's aren't already comfortable but this would certainly give the option for better playability. And not just as a 'more is better' mentality, because I think a Smith is already great and little to no improvements are needed, but this one suggestion I think would make a world of difference. I personally have thought of this before, to me the current location is just a bit too high and can see where a lower placement of the straploc would be beneficial. I also like Tim's idea of making it an 'option'.

Ken- have you all experimented with this at all? Any reason why it would/wouldn't work? Could this be made into an option?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Zarate View Post
Roberto, great suggestion! I would agree 100%. Not that Smith's aren't already comfortable but this would certainly give the option for better playability. And not just as a 'more is better' mentality, because I think a Smith is already great and little to no improvements are needed, but this one suggestion I think would make a world of difference. I personally have thought of this before, to me the current location is just a bit too high and can see where a lower placement of the straploc would be beneficial. I also like Tim's idea of making it an 'option'.

Ken- have you all experimented with this at all? Any reason why it would/wouldn't work? Could this be made into an option?
You are replying to 6 year old comments. Look at the dates these were posted. lol

What is your question?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

Gilbert Zarate is on a distinguished road

Yes, I saw that when I was posting. Lol! I started looking at some old threads and this one really intrigued me, lol. I know I haven't seen anything like this in 6yrs but thought I'd ask anyway, didn't know if this had ever been experimented.

Sorry for reviving old, super old threads. I guess I've been excited about my new (new to me) BSR5TN that I've only had for a couple of weeks, haha!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Roberto Zecchinelli is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Roberto Zecchinelli
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Zarate View Post

I'm glad you like it, Gilbert!
I really love this little mod!!.