Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Posting Member

David Alan McIntire II is on a distinguished road

I completely agree there aren't many Master builders out there, my questions here are meant only about Smith basses. Where I'm from, both originally and where residin now, there are NO techs to properly set up basses, or have too much knowledge concerning them at all. I do dearly love the feel of a nice, oil finished instrument. I have yet to be able to afford a Smith built for my needs exactly, but the one I have I got very reasonable, it's in good shape, sounds amazing and I wouldn't consider it a "dud" in any way. Compared to my 18V Jazz bass, its output is less, but it's more of a feel thing than an actual jump in volume, per se. My Smith has the hard finish on it, and though pretty, it doesn't have the crazy grain or figure in the wood I've seen in some Smiths. I was wondering if the finish did change the tone or appearance of wood, as compared to an oil finished bass, and I think got the answer. It's all subjective. Heh. I would never have ordered the hard finish on a bass like a Smith, but I must say it's aged well. It gives the bass an antique type vibe, and though would've never said in a million years I think I like the finish in the end. I've gotten used to it and really love it. So, I ain't changin a thing. If I want a new preamp, I'll get a new Smith. Someday...