Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Posting Member

Joshua Phelps is on a distinguished road
Default Always sharp?

Every time i pull one of my smiths out to play (always stored in case) i go to check the tuning & its always tuned sharp. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jason Wilson is on a distinguished road

If the case is quite cool compaired to the outside or it's stored in a cold place, the strings could be contracting due to the temperature. THis will cause them to be sharp.
If you play them for a while do they loosen up and go back in tune?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Posting Member

Joshua Phelps is on a distinguished road
Question Reply

I never really give them a chance too, I just adjust the tuning & away I go! Still though, it's just really dizzare. Strings normally go flat as you play & are that way when you pic up the bass (as no one i know tunes before putting away their instrument) not the other way around. I've done about a billion truss adjustments on a billion basses over the years & if literally moving the neck in one direction won't change the tuning then I don't think it could be the neck making gradual movements (on its own from temp/humidity) doing it so maybe it is the strings contracting.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Tuning and Temps.....

Temperature can have an impact on any instrument as it relates to tuning or otherwise. What I do know for certain (after 15 years of playing every model Smith made) is this: The necks on Smith basses are as stable as they come. End of discussion.

Just as one example: I had a Smith 6 (KSA6 20th. Ann.) I purchased new and used on a few recordings back in and around 2000. I then put that bass back in it's OHSC and didn't remove it for about 5 years. When I did remove it after 5 years, it was in tune as I had stored it previously. There have been times where temperatures (hot or cold) have either caused a flat or sharp impact to one of my basses. The impact, I believe, you are experiencing is related to 'string temperature'; not neck movement.

Here's a good one: There are times where the tuning on my Smith, only when in a cold environment, was equally sharp from B to G (5) or B to C (6). When this occured, I placed both my hands (starting at the first fret) on top and back of neck for a few seconds, and slowly moved up the neck incrementally until I reached the body. The warmth from my hands actually put the strings back in tune. I only tried this out of curiousity and found it worked perfectly and quickly.

Again, Smith necks are as stable as they come. Unless I want to change the action on my Smith, I rarely (if at all) have to make a truss rod adjustment. There are many well known bass makers out there that can't make this claim.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Posting Member

Ronen Tat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
The impact, I believe, you are experiencing is related to 'string temperature'; not neck movement.
+1

Quote:
The warmth from my hands actually put the strings back in tune.
So, as the strings went flat, you yourself got sharper...

Quote:
There are many well known bass makers out there that can't make this claim.
++1