Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default "Ode to Sartory"

The Thread title came right from the lips of the maker. After waiting nearly 3 years I just received my custom made Sue Lipkins Bow.

Over the last 2 years I was lucky enough to acquire 3 pre-owned Lipkins Bows (of which I have sold off two of them) as well as Sue's 2006 VSA competition entry Bow which I currently use personally.

About a year ago while patiently waiting for my 'ordered' Bow, Sue asked if I would like a Sartory Model Bow. She mentioned that she had made a replacement Sartory Frog to replace a broken one and had made special tooling and could make another for me if I wanted. Sue knows that I played a Sartory for most of my professional playing days and offered to replace in a way, my old Sartory. Sue herself owned a Sartory when she was out playing Bass and knows this maker very well.

Long story short, the Bow arrived today and is nothing short of spectacular. It looks, feels and sounds like a Sartory. The wood is not as fancy looking as many of the Lipkins Bows usually seen and the Pearl slide and Dot is not Flamed like she usually makes. All of this simpler style to imitate an original Sartory model Bow.

Why did she go to the trouble? Well, when I called her about 3 years ago to introduce myself and place my order she mentioned that we had met many years ago when she was in Juilliard. Someone had mentioned that I sold Basses and Bows and she came over to look for a Bow. Sue told me that she bought her 'first good Bow' from me, a French Bisch. At that point I thought I might get a better deal from her on my order but I was quoted $500. 'more' than the last guy because 'that list' was filled up and I will be on the next price schedule...lol

Anyway, she made this fantastic 'one-off' Bow for me so I thought I would mention it. If you wanna see some pics, I can post them in a day or so as soon as I find some time. Back to practicing now. Gotta warm up the new Bow a little..