Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Chinese/Asian

Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Srikanth Narayanan is on a distinguished road
Default Xue Chang Sun basses?

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm not sure if this belongs here or in This New Bass: Chinese/Asian. Please place it where you think best.

I'm curious if anyone here knows much about Xue Chang Sun the man, and about the quality of the instruments that his shop makes. From what I've read on the Internet, his shop makes violins, violas, cellos and basses and he's won awards. Has anyone met the man? Metaphorically, how does he tie his shoes? Are his work shops small or large, does he supervise the basses made or is he a 'hands off' kind of guy?

I've played on a few 7/8th size carved round backs that I think came from his shop, with one labelled as a "Sinfonica". What can I say, other than it sounded good and played well. I'm not yet an experienced judge of double bass quality. I'm also not sure about other bass types coming out from his shop, and how they stack up in terms of design & build quality, sound and pricing.

I currently play a Strunal 50/4 ply. I like it, it sounds good pizz, and amplifies well. Practicing with the bow is so-so, but I don't perform with a bow. It's serving me well, but sometimes I wonder about upgrading.

I'm checking out these Xue Chang Sun basses and some others. I've never played a Shen bass, but are these two shops similar in product output, quality, sound, price?

BTW is his name Xue Chang Sun, or Xuechang Sun?

regards,
Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm

I highly doubt that the man himself does anything but run the company as far as basses go. Winning awards is usually for making a violin by hand individually. The price for a hand made bass is many times that of a Chinese shop bass which this most likely is.

I personally know Sam Shen who is known for just about the best basses from China. He doesn't make them. His workers do.

I have a couple of basses left that I ordered from a good Chinese maker that sound better than all of the high Shen's I compared them to. They are called 'Amati' model from KSB. If looking to upgrade I suggest you drive down and try either the one I have here or the modified Deluxe model that Arnold has in his shop in NY with a higher quality fingerboard & bridge with a CF Graphite inlaid neck as well.

Take the drive. You will save money and get a good bass education.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Srikanth Narayanan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip. When the time is right I may have to get some friends together and do a road trip. Do you suggest having a standardized "checklist" way to test different basses for sound and playability?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanth Narayanan View Post
Thanks for the tip. When the time is right I may have to get some friends together and do a road trip. Do you suggest having a standardized "checklist" way to test different basses for sound and playability?
Play each bass the same, bow and pizz, same exact music to compare and then listening to another person play for you as you listen close and at a distance. At a distance is how they sound to others.

Here, I will do the playing for you if you come without a bass player. I know a few notes..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

X Sun makes nice "Chinese workshop" basses. I have sold quite a few of their violins, cello and violas. I would rate them the best of the chinese instruments I have seen. The workmanship is excellent, finish is well executed.

They are, however still a chinese style bass and are easily identified from across the room. Not a bad thing, just a comment.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Here is the Sinfonica. It is their lowest of their line of all solid wood, carved basses.

www.sinomanmusic.com/images/Big/01-Xuechang-Sun/04Bass/BA-401.jpg

And this has better wood.
http://www.sinomanmusic.com/images/B...ass/BA-402.jpg

And better yet.

http://www.sinomanmusic.com/images/B...ass/BA-406.jpg
Old 06-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb from across the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
X Sun makes nice "Chinese workshop" basses. I have sold quite a few of their violins, cello and violas. I would rate them the best of the chinese instruments I have seen. The workmanship is excellent, finish is well executed.

They are, however still a chinese style bass and are easily identified from across the room. Not a bad thing, just a comment.
If you can tell they are Chinese from across the room then they are not all that good. I remember playing in an Orchestra several years ago when another bass pro beside me said "is that a NEW Bass?". The bass didn't have any cracks and barely any scratches or mars but didn't look like a new bass. Then when I said "yes, its a Shen, Chinese" it was almost a shock!

One day, a pro bassist from Europe was trying basses out in another shop and there to pick up a bass I was selling. I had one of my Amati Shop basses there and asked him to try it. He tried my bass and then 2 other high end Shens and said mine was much better sound wise and I agreed 100%.

On your claim Ken, the people who make Violins, Violas and Cellos are NOT the same people, team or maybe even shop in some cases that make the Basses. Even in China between shops, things get farmed out to those that specialize. Comparing Violins to Basses by label is not the whole picture. Compare the basses to basses!