Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mike O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Am I the nightmare customer?

I'm at best semi-pro. I've owned four different basses in my life, the one I own now, a shen 7/8 willow flatback, is the best I've ever owned. I play jazz, almost all pizz, though I like to work out with the bow in practice. I'm not unhappy with anything about the bass except that sometimes I think it's a little too bright. Could be my technique, but I think a bass this size ought to have a little more boom. I've never had the soundpost adjusted or any other work done since I bought the bass about a year and a half ago. It has a rib crack down by the endpin--my fault, not Shen's--that I need to have looked at.

If I take it to, say, Mike Shank, how much can I reasonably expect him to work with me on setup for the right sound? How much change in sound can I reasonably expect? Mostly the bass feels really right to me--why I bought it--and sounds good. But I don't have the widest range of experience. I have dealt with a well known local shop here in DC, and some of my dealings have left me slightly uneasy, for no good reason that I can name. I don't entirely trust this place, which may be unreasonable on my part

I also have a good friend that runs a local guitar shop, and one of his biggest complaints--and sources of revenue--is guys who come in nitpicking about this or that when what they ought to do its practice more. I don't want to be that guy!

How much of a luthier's time and attention would it be reasonable to expect? How much improvement might I see?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMalley View Post
If I take it to, say, Mike Shank, how much can I reasonably expect him to work with me on setup for the right sound? How much change in sound can I reasonably expect? Mostly the bass feels really right to me--why I bought it--and sounds good.

How much of a luthier's time and attention would it be reasonable to expect? How much improvement might I see?
You can expect him to work with you to try and get the sound you are after until you either get it or decide to stop trying! Of course, I'm sure he'll charge you based on his time. I've probably made 20 trips to my luthier since buying a new instrument last April, and yes, I paid for all the attention.

Your bass can be tweaked to make it darker or brighter sounding. Your luthier might experiment with moving the soundpost, for instance. I'm sure he would have other suggestions. These changes might affect the "feel" of the bass. In terms of change in sound, you just have to see how your bass responds. It's definitely worth putting some time into, though I wouldn't expect miracles. If your bass feels right and sounds good to you now, you are in good shape!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I also have a good friend that runs a local guitar shop, and one of his biggest complaints--and sources of revenue--is guys who come in nitpicking about this or that when what they ought to do its practice more. I don't want to be that guy!

In my experience, a good luthier will work with you to achieve what you want. Don't be bullied by a luthier IF your request is reasonable. You may have to talk to more experienced players to see if what you want is achievable through set up or if you need a different set of strings, pick up, etc... Have an experienced player play your instrument. Get them to tell you what THEY think, without skewing the results first by telling them what YOU think.

BTW, if I charged an hourly rate I would be happy to see that customer coming through the door that is a great source of revenue.

FWIW
Brian
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

The two things to play with are the soundpost and the strings. For a darker sound, the post should generally be slightly farther from the bridge and slightly toward the treble f-hole. Of course, moving the post usually requires re-fitting it as well, and this is a very demanding task (for a pro!). The post tension needs to be right also. As far as strings, what are you using? There are lots of options on the market now.

No you are not a nightmare client! But I will say that after an hour or so of tonal tweaking, both your and the luthier's ears will be shot. Then it's time to give it a rest and try again another time.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Mike O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. I'm using weichs at the moment, a well used set that I like the tone and feel of. I've tried, on this bass or other basses, Obligatos, helicores, Spiro mittels, animas, eurosonics, Bel Cantos, labella tape wounds--the weichs have the best combination of pizz tone and bowability, and on this bass they sound less twangy than the mittels. Maybe time to give the Oblis another look?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe time to give the Oblis another look?
I use a combination of Weich E and A and Obli D and G and timbre-wise, they match up well on my bass, especially for pizz. The Oblis may give you a bit darker sound if that is what you are looking for, and I like them better than weichs under the bow.