Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Endpin talk...

I have seen just about everything from a Broom Stick in the Endpin to Carbon Fiber rods and Bent Endpins as well as the other standard variety from Steel Rods to Aluminum or Ebony Shafts. Some people think the material makes a difference in sound and some also think the length extended outwards or left inside un-extended also affects the tone and volume of the Bass.

I also want to point out that sound may differ as well regardless of the Endpin type or extension depending on the surface you are playing on. Do any of you notice that with Amps some sound better on wheels and some on the rubber depending on the floor type and the room?

What are your thoughts and experiences on this?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Brian Ross

Default laborie enpin: carbon fiber vs. wood

For several years I've been using the carbon fiber Laborie endpin. A couple months ago I got the new design of this endpin which is made of an African hardwood (padauk). Laborie told me he had been surprised at how much better the hardwood endpin sounded than the carbon fiber. I was pretty skeptical but there really is a noticable difference. The sound is warmer and more resonant with the wooden endpin. Its prettier too.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Several months ago, I stuck a 5/8" birch dowel in place of the hollow metal pin and the bass sounded much warmer and seemed to have a bit more volume. This was on both tile and hardwood floors. The problem is that I sit on a low stool and with the bass laying into me, it slid on the crutch tip. It just didn't seem worth the trouble.

Regarding amps, I've used a small tripod Ultimate stand to help me hear, but nothing else.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charles Federle is on a distinguished road

This question of endpins has been rather interesting to me lately, as we tried changing a friend of mines from something that was about 2-3 feet long to a 8 inch carbon fiber endpin. With nothing else changed his sound was much warmer and less metallic. Not sure if it has more to do with the material or the length, but it was a huge difference and I am now going to experiment around a bit. (since I don't really use much of an endpin this is easier then for some.)

I wonder though on those that use wood endpins. Do you have a metal tip to keep it in place or some sort of rubber cap on the end ?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool amps/floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clinkingbeard View Post
Several months ago, I stuck a 5/8" birch dowel in place of the hollow metal pin and the bass sounded much warmer and seemed to have a bit more volume. This was on both tile and hardwood floors. The problem is that I sit on a low stool and with the bass laying into me, it slid on the crutch tip. It just didn't seem worth the trouble.

Regarding amps, I've used a small tripod Ultimate stand to help me hear, but nothing else.
My reference to the Amps was only that it makes a difference on different floors and with wheels or rubber feet so with Basses it might make a difference as well what kind of Endpin you use.

I am wondering why they can't use the regular Endpin socket rather than drilling a second hole in the Block for the tilted unit. Also, how is it different to use a bent Endpin or just tilt the Bass with a regular Endpin. The entire Philly Orch and NY Phil in the sections use regular Endpins. I think I did see Hal Robinson do a solo one day and have a bent Endpin on that Bass but not on any of the Orchestral Basses I have seen.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Brian Ross

The Laborie endpin has a soft rubber ball on the end which grips very well. Its not prone to slippage anyway since the endpin comes out of the bass at an angle, so is pretty much perpendicular to the floor when you're playing.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Brian Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I am wondering why they can't use the regular Endpin socket rather than drilling a second hole in the Block for the tilted unit. Also, how is it different to use a bent Endpin or just tilt the Bass with a regular Endpin. The entire Philly Orch and NY Phil in the sections use regular Endpins. I think I did see Hal Robinson do a solo one day and have a bent Endpin on that Bass but not on any of the Orchestral Basses I have seen.
Not sure what you're envisioning with the endpin coming out of the regular socket. However, one argument against doing it that way is that not having the endpin in the socket that is in touch with the tailpiece-string assembly allows the bass to vibrate more freely

No doubt those of us using this type of endpin are a small minority, but we're a growing one! I bet you will see more and more players everywhere (including in major sections) using this type in the future.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Second Hole...

I have seen Viennese type Basses with a separate wood socket for the Tailwire close to the Top and the Endpin by the center. I haven't seen any vintage Basses of high value thus far with a second hole drilled towards the Back of the Bass for this bent thing. I would be worried about weakening the Bass at the block area myself.

I myself do a combination of sitting or standing depending on how I feel or what Bass I am using. Some Endpins have a round Rubber Ball at the end but on a wooden floor, they tend to slide a bit more than on carpet.

One one of my Basses in Restoration now I was trying to decide which Endpin type to use since I will only be up a few inches if that much. I was considering either a standard 3/8 steel pin unit or a wooden one and maybe make a few sizes for standing or sitting lengths if it mattered at all sound wise. I usually cut off most of the excess inside the Bass on both the Steel and Carbon Fiber Rods.

The Bass is a 7/8-4/4 size standing about 6ft5in (77") from the top saddle to the tip of the Scroll. After the Bass is shortened at the Block and Neck Graft is will be about 75" minimum. With the Endpin in all the way, you can add about 3 1/2" with the Endpin all the way in. This is one Bass I actually measured for an Endpin unit so that when I sit, the Back doesn't touch the floor. The Socket is about 1/2" or so forward of center so this was a concern as the Ribs are 8.5" inside the plates (over 9" with Top & Back). Tilting this Bass when I sit is of some concern since the 'Pin will be very low.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

I only use about 6" of my endpin, with approx 3" sticking out of the bass. What effect, if any, would removing the excess have on the sound?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Brian Ross

Quote:
I have seen Viennese type Basses with a separate wood socket for the Tailwire close to the Top and the Endpin by the center. I haven't seen any vintage Basses of high value thus far with a second hole drilled towards the Back of the Bass for this bent thing. I would be worried about weakening the Bass at the block area myself.
Both of Rabbath's Quenoils are drilled this way, as are all Paul Ellison's basses (Maggini, Quenoil, etc), Rufus Reid's bass... there are lots of old high value basses that have been set up this way. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the block. I suppose that if the bass had a problem at the block to begin with there could trouble, or maybe on a cheaply made bass.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Also, Glen Moore uses the Laborie pin in his big old bass, I believe it's a Klotz.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
I am wondering why they can't use the regular Endpin socket rather than drilling a second hole in the Block for the tilted unit. Also, how is it different to use a bent Endpin or just tilt the Bass with a regular Endpin.
You can use the regular pin socket to attach an egg pin which simulates the Laborie without the second hole. It's a fairly heavy device that goes on and off the bass for travel. Hans Sturm, who produced Rabbath's "Art of the Bow" video uses the egg pin with his older Italian bass as he didn't want to have a hole drilled in it. I used the egg pin to experiment with the angled pin concept before I had a hole drilled. I suppose you could also bend a pin to simulate the position of the laborie pin. Holding it firmly in the socket so it doesn't twist might be a challenge. I like the convenience of the Laborie pin. I don't think my basses sound different with it than with the egg pin.

I also used a 45º bent pin in my normal socket for a while. It changed the balance of the bass a bit, causing it to fall in towards my body at a more open angle, but didn't have the dramatic effect of the Laborie pin with the drilled hole.

Quote:
I also want to point out that sound may differ as well regardless of the Endpin type or extension depending on the surface you are playing on.
Some years ago I was doing a recording session, jazz quartet, and the engineer just couldn't come up with a good bass sound, he must have spent an hour at this. He had me set up in a carpeted booth. I finally took the bass out of the room, played a few notes on a hardwood floor, and that was it. From that point on, I always ask for a piece of plywood to set the bass on if there is carpeting. The carpet seemed to suck up the percussive attack of the instrument. Hard surfaces seem to emphasize it, what I want in jazz playing, at least.

Last edited by Eric Hochberg; 07-30-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I tried the experiment with my friend's bass we tried the same thing with mine. For my bass it did not make as dramatic of a difference as his. Might of had to do with mine being shorter (only about 18 inches), hollow like the carbon fiber rod, and perhaps because it was much lighter then his.

I do think it is important though being able to stick the endpin into the floor. Granted some places more then others. One concert hall I play in they have boxes for each player, similar to that a cello soloist might use, even has a bass bar in the box right about where you would put your end pin. These boxes make a huge difference especially when playing on the extension.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question hollow like the carbon fiber rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I tried the experiment with my friend's bass we tried the same thing with mine. For my bass it did not make as dramatic of a difference as his. Might of had to do with mine being shorter (only about 18 inches), hollow like the carbon fiber rod, and perhaps because it was much lighter then his.

I do think it is important though being able to stick the endpin into the floor. Granted some places more then others. One concert hall I play in they have boxes for each player, similar to that a cello soloist might use, even has a bass bar in the box right about where you would put your end pin. These boxes make a huge difference especially when playing on the extension.
The Carbon Fiber Rods I have are all Solid. I have had Aluminum Rods Hollow that were painted Black but all the CF Rods I have seen are solid.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Junior Posting Member

The one we used was a bit of an odd ball. I think it came from Bob's house of bass. I remember it being hollow because we were so worried about crushing it with his thumbscrew, my current aluminum endpin though is hollow.

I am about to try a solid CF rod on my bass. Found just finding a piece of 10mm carbon fiber is much cheaper then something that is an endpin rod depending on the results I might try something wooden next. Any suggestions on what kind of wood might be the best ? Right now I am think either a strong maple or maybe lignum vitae (if I can find it).
Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Default angled wooden pin

Wondering as Ken asks what difference there may be between tilting the bass with a straight pin as compared to the Laborie angled one? Also with the new hardwood ones are they adjustable length? Could they be installed straight if one wanted to? Lots of questions as I have never tried an angled pin but interested in what its like and very interested in using a wooden one such as this either way. Also with the Laborie pin how does it work if one is sitting to play? I mostly stand out of choice myself but sometimes in orchestra work of course sitting may be the norm. drilling the block does seem a bit extreme especially in an old valuable instrument but if it works .......
Old 08-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Driling the Block and future damage...

You are not just drilling the Block. You are putting a hole in the Rib as well!

On the restorations I have had recently, many of the Basses needed a new Block and these only had one hole in it. Out of 8 Basses opened up, 4 or 5 needed a new Block (I don't recall if the Gilkes was replaced or trimmed as it looks old but not as old as the neck block).

I can't imagine how a Block will last with two holes being drilled. I have only seen a few Basses with a separate Tailwire Socket and separate Endpin so I can't say for sure if this weakens the Block over time but using either Endpin over time is double duty on the Block itself.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
Wondering as Ken asks what difference there may be between tilting the bass with a straight pin as compared to the Laborie angled one? Also with the Laborie pin how does it work if one is sitting to play?

It's all about the balance. When I tilt my bass back on its straight endpin, it falls to the left if I don't hold it with my left hand. With the angled hole, the bass more or less stays back without falling. It takes some practice to find the balance point but when you do, you find you don't have to hold the instrument up with your hand, freeing it up.

When sitting, I don't know how critical the angled hole is as I can position the bass in a more open cello-like position with the normal endpin. You would probably need a shorter Laborie pin for sitting depending upon the height of the stool.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Playing...

What are you guys playing that all of a sudden a regular endpin is not good enough 150 years after Dragonetti?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
What are you guys playing that all of a sudden a regular endpin is not good enough 150 years after Dragonetti?
For me, it's about trying to find away to play the bass with less physical stress as I've been dealing with a bout of RSIs in both arms, wrists and hands. The Laborie pin seems to be helping. If anyone is interested, I wrote a piece about my RSI experience on Jason Heath's wonderful bass blog, doublebassblog.com.

Last edited by Eric Hochberg; 08-01-2007 at 03:03 PM.