Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 03-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

JonPaulsen is on a distinguished road
Question A '90 Ken Smith BT6G

I'm considering buying a koa BT6G from a pro in LA. It's for a two band eq, and I guess a varnish finish. Marado fingerboard?
I see the back of the neck is a bit worn through the finish, but I guess that's just part of the mojo.

Just wondering if there are any special issues with these early 6 strings or if they are safe purchases. I'm not thinking of the woodwork so much, mostly worried about the electronics and whether the neck is stable in my "all over the place climate", dry and cold/electrically heated in winter and extremely humid in summer.

I'm very tempted cause I've only heard good things about those old Ken Smith basses. But it's a lot of money, so just gathering a little piece of extra information to ease my mind before spending the money

Thanks!

Jon (from Norway)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Oh well, I bought it anyway

hehe

Can't wait to get it!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool oops..

I missed this post last month, sorry. The old BTs are good working basses, worldwide. Same work as we do now. Finish was probably a lacquer of sort but hot high gloss and not thick. We made the 2-band from about 1986-1993. In late 1992 we came out with the same circuit in a 4-knob unit but with an added mid-range plug-in as well, the 4/5 BT/BMT unit. In 2004 we came out with the modified version with 18v usage, same power drain but longer lasting. For Smith basses with the older BMT model circuits out there with S/P switches thru the top, we can Mod these 18s to work as a 9v like before as there is no room for the 2nd battery without moving one of the switches which is a big job.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks for the info!

I haven't received it yet, but I'm really anxious to get it. Hopefully it'll be on its way over here sometime during the week. I won't bother doing anything with the electronics as long as it works. Really curious to play it for the first time!

To me they have always been intriguing instruments, I started playing in the early 80s and saw the BT6 in the hands of John Patitucci and others. I remember drooling over these basses in Bass Player Magazine... It had to be a BT for me, even though I was considering a MD7 locally in Norway, too... That's what a Ken Smith bass should look like according to my sentimental brain :-)

What is the recommended way to deal with the spots where the finish is worn, though? Linseed oil once in a while?

Thanks for your time, Ken, I appreciate you're taking the time to answer me!

JI
Old 04-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPaulsen View Post
What is the recommended way to deal with the spots where the finish is worn, though? Linseed oil once in a while?
JI
On the Finish, if it is a lacquer, the only fix is a re-finish. To just slow down the wear, a tung oil might work, something that hardens fast on raw wood.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
On the Finish, if it is a lacquer, the only fix is a re-finish. To just slow down the wear, a tung oil might work, something that hardens fast on raw wood.
Thanks, I will look into it when I get it in hand.
I'm not sure how to tell a thin not gloss lacquer from a varnish or oil finish, but is this something you can tell from the serial number?
I do have something called Liberon Finishing Oil that I'm planning to finish a swamp ash body with... It's this suitable?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-0038.../dp/B000TAWCIE

BTW, the preamp is the stacked knob two band preamp, and there isn't S/P switches on it.

Thanks again,
JI

Last edited by JonPaulsen; 04-27-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

I have no idea what that oil is. You will have to test it. maybe it hardens and maybe you make a salad with it. Who knows?

This BTs of the 90s were lacquered. Not high gloss but Laq.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Junior Posting Member

Red face

Lol
Its definitely hardening, I know one of our local builders is using it for his guitars. And I get a couple chances to test it out on those couple of swamp ash bodies first.

If I make salad with it, I'm sure the result will be somewhat... Interesting

Thanks for the information and help!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Junior Posting Member

I have had the bass for a couple of months now, and it's a really fantastic instrument! I have never personally played an instrument that is so even from string to string and up and down the neck. It's pretty amazing. I love the feel of the neck. The fact that it's been extensively gigged makes it all the more personal. It has the broken in feel that you just have to fall in love with. Amazing instrument!

No problem with the finish, it's used but still in place. So don't need to worry about that. All in all it's a fantastic instrument and it's the only bass I've touched since I got it. My 30+ bass collection is mostly for sale these days.... I am only keeping a backup 6-string and a couple 4-strings. The rest is surplus now. :-) Thanks, Ken!

Now, the only problem is that it consumes batteries really fast. It will drain a battery in about 2 months even when not in use (I didn't use it over the summer vacation for 4 weeks, and when I came back it was dead).

I presume this is not the normal case for one of these preamps. Since the preamp works fine, I'm assuming it might be the jack that is broken so it doesn't cut the power when the jack is pulled? Is there any experience on this on the board? How should I deal with it... I live in Norway, so shipping back to the factory is at least expensive....

Cheers,
Jon
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPaulsen View Post
Now, the only problem is that it consumes batteries really fast. It will drain a battery in about 2 months even when not in use (I didn't use it over the summer vacation for 4 weeks, and when I came back it was dead).

I presume this is not the normal case for one of these preamps. Since the preamp works fine, I'm assuming it might be the jack that is broken so it doesn't cut the power when the jack is pulled? Is there any experience on this on the board? How should I deal with it... I live in Norway, so shipping back to the factory is at least expensive....

Cheers,
Jon
Anything is possible. A short, old worn jack? Dont use Monster cables. They kill the jacks.