Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Junior Posting Member

travismoore is on a distinguished road
Default Help Identifying a bass (possibly German/Czech)

Hi,

I am posting because I came across a bass recently that I am looking to buy but the seller doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it other than the fact that it maybe a "Blockless Wonder". So through searching around for info on exactly what a blockless wonder is I came across your site.

From reading through the threads here I think it may be german/czech because of the tuning pegs but it would be great to have a well trained eye look at it.

The only thing that is throwing me off is that the body wood seems quite intensely figured or at least it is more prominent than the other examples here on the site. It does look to have been refinished so that may be why?

Also it has some cracks in the body, just wondering if those are serious or are easy to get repaired?

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/trav.../Double%20Bass

Any help/insight is appreciated,
Cheers

Last edited by travismoore; 11-23-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ok.. have a seat..

I have looked thru all of your pictures.

This is not a Blockless bass. The neck is set down into a block and the shoulders are not of the blockless style Hump that would point to this ever being blockless.

The Bass has a beechwood Neck, hatpeg tuners and outer linings with an angled flatback. The beechwood is more common in Bohemia than Germany but the outer linings are German. Those features along with the outer linings put this bass on the German/Bohemian border near Saxony and Schonbach on the Czech sitd. From these features I would date the bass to the early 20th century between the two world wars. But with the tuners looking so new, if original, the bass can be post war. It is not an old bass from the 19th century to my eyes.

You said
Quote:
The only thing that is throwing me off is that the body wood seems quite intensely figured or at least it is more prominent than the other examples here on the site. It does look to have been refinished so that may be why?
NO, there is NO figure in that wood at all. Not a single stripe of flame figure. What you are seeing is some kind of brushed 'shoe-polish' type finish and I can't stress enough how bad that finish is. This bass has ultra plain wood on it, as plain and cheap as they could get back then. This is a low end factory/shop bass that has been further de-valued by bad amateur work. When these were made, a regular Kay bass was about 2-3x its price.

If you buy this bass, restoring it properly and again replacing the finish so it doesn't look like a 3rd grader doing his school desk will cost maybe 2x what the bass would have been worth if left alone and properly repaired in the past. Over here, basses in original condition of this sort sell from $3-8K on average if in fairly good repair. I have seen people pay more for the cheapest ones but when re-selling it, they will loose a lot of money unless they Screw the next guy like how they were Screwed!!

If I got this bass for free, I would loose money trying to fix and re-sell it. So, if you have understood my severe warning above, do NOT buy this bass. It is a money pit at the least.

Oh and..
Quote:
..but the seller doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it..
This is the biggest red flag when someone is selling a bass or anything else. They want you to dream on about it and get all excited and sell yourself on it. Unless he's not the owner/player but inherited it in some way. People are not always as stupid as they look!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks for the info Ken, I appreciate the honesty.

I just found it while looking around ebay and was interested in its origin. The guy does say this "The bass was purchased in the 1960's by a Youth Orchestra player and has had not used since he left the Orchestra not too long after. He purchased it from a retiring professional player who by then would have been well into his later years."

So that probably lines up pretty well with what you said really in terms of how old it is. Its only later he amended it to suggest it was a "blockless wonder" due to someone one telling it so. (I guess they are misinformed). I should probably point out to him that its not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3509305572...84.m1436.l2649

I have one last question if that is ok. I am actually an electric bass player for the most part and I am looking at starting to learn upright is it worth trying to go for something like that bass (provided it goes for cheap) or it is better to get something newer? Are there pro's/con's?
Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by travismoore View Post
Thanks for the info Ken, I appreciate the honesty.

I just found it while looking around ebay and was interested in its origin. The guy does say this "The bass was purchased in the 1960's by a Youth Orchestra player and has had not used since he left the Orchestra not too long after. He purchased it from a retiring professional player who by then would have been well into his later years."

So that probably lines up pretty well with what you said really in terms of how old it is. Its only later he amended it to suggest it was a "blockless wonder" due to someone one telling it so. (I guess they are misinformed). I should probably point out to him that its not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3509305572...84.m1436.l2649

I have one last question if that is ok. I am actually an electric bass player for the most part and I am looking at starting to learn upright is it worth trying to go for something like that bass (provided it goes for cheap) or it is better to get something newer? Are there pro's/con's?
I see the ad and however informative it is, it can be misleading. The value when restored is not far but the cost to do it professionally and correctly will exceed that.

In the UK, there is a shop (amongst others) called Thwaites. I have met the owner a few times over here and I think they can take care of your Double bass needs at a fair price. Try them first.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks again for the info, I will be sure to check out Thwaites