Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jochen Schmidt Hambrock is on a distinguished road
Question Low volume on highest string

I have gotten used to play in EADGCF on my 1987 Ken Smith #87383.
Now (I think) because of the thinness of the F string, the strings are not well balanced and the F string is noticeably lower in volume.

If I play on a traditional bass-heavy amp/cabinett combination like a SVT, it can get to the point that the high string is unusable. I cannot balance it with my technique anymore.

On more modern amps the problem is a bit less severe because of smaller speakers. But even in the studio it is something that really bothers me.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? There are not many options regarding string manufactures.

All the best,

Jochen (1st post here)

www.jochenschmidt.de
Old 12-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Schmidt Hambrock View Post
I have gotten used to play in EADGCF on my 1987 Ken Smith #87383.
Now (I think) because of the thinness of the F string, the strings are not well balanced and the F string is noticeably lower in volume.

If I play on a traditional bass-heavy amp/cabinett combination like a SVT, it can get to the point that the high string is unusable. I cannot balance it with my technique anymore.

On more modern amps the problem is a bit less severe because of smaller speakers. But even in the studio it is something that really bothers me.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? There are not many options regarding string manufactures.

All the best,

Jochen (1st post here)

www.jochenschmidt.de
It's unlikely it's your string. What you should do is make certain your set-up is correct for your playing style. It could be your pick-ups are not adjusted correctly: The pole pieces within each pick-up can be adjusted to a specific height to enhance the output level of each individual string. If you don't know how to make these adjustments, locate a professional that does. I would suspect once your bass is set-up for you and your playing style, you'll be in good shape.