Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anzellotti View Post
Well, Geez! why didn't you say so before? I'd be happy to make some mounts to fit your needs. I agree that there are advantages to wood fingers. They can be shaped artistically to fit a particular bass, and even a special wood or finish chosen. There are those like Ken who simply prefer a larger surface for finger contact, and some people want a tail so they can have thumb operation. I designed my fingers to be simple, compact, unobtrusive, and universal. It's impractical for me to offer too many options, and I can keep my price low by offering only the single design in two lengths.

Many bassists and luthiers are happy with my finger design (otherwise I wouldn't be in business!) but I realize that this doesn't fit everyone's needs. For them, I encourage the use of wood fingers, which can be easily mated with my mounting hardware. I am happy to sell the brackets by themselves, so the luthier can go wild making the fingers, and not have to worry about machining.

One final note. I use the slightly larger stud because it is not only more stable, but allows for my "internal brake" which eliminates the need for a locknut for resistance adjustment. Also, the threaded approach makes for simpler height adjustment. This makes the assembly simpler (fewer parts), lighter, more reliable, and easier to install than with the traditional approach. I think that these innovations are a step forward on the design side, but I conceed that it also makes later resistance adjustments more difficult. I am no fundamentalist. Arnold, if you want a bracket with a 1/4" thru hole and appropriate races for washers, I'd be happy to accommodate you! Let's talk.
Good stuff, Rob. I agree with you that the bracket should be threaded. One other thing I've been doing is using small machine screws to mount the brackets. It's a pain in the butt drilling and tapping all those holes in the ebony, but the excellent hold makes it worthwhile.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Posting Member

Vince Jesse is on a distinguished road

The manufacturing industry in the United States is dying. If someone in the U.S. has an idea for any musical instrument related product I suggest that we keep all aspects of production right here in the USA. And have it made locally.

When I designed my "capos" it was about five years ago, before I had even looked at Mr. Anzellotti's. None of these designs are a novel concept, just a proven style of adjustable bracket found on all types of assemblies for hundreds or thousands of years. I was asked to come up with something to install on extensions with poorly functioning stops. It seems like mine ended up being a similar concept but easier and cheaper to make. If you have files, a few drills, taps and a drill press you could make them. Also, the standoff distance or bracket width is adjustable - simply disassemble the two brass parts, belt sand until you have the dimension that works then re polish.

I like the idea of an adjustable, easy to mount bracket. It just makes sense in many ways. With that said I think ebony fingers are much more comfortable and allow an individual, artistic touch. Kind of like decorating a bridge.

Arguing about who's capos are most attractive is pretty dumb. I'd say a more important question is do you want to be at the mercy of someone else's product or design? No, you don't.

Last edited by Vince Jesse; 06-01-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: ...
Old 06-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I don't mind at all the discussion or arguments. Some swear the Mechanical Extension is better. There, we stand in the same ditch fighting together. And then, there are the 5-string players telling all of us that Extensions are a cheap fix for not having a 5er.

For me, I like moving the capos without looking when moving fast. If I forget to open the C or any other note, I bend my wrist and quickly slide it upwards along the extension opining all the 'fingers' with my forefinger knuckles near my thumb. In Martial Arts we call this 'ridge hand'. I do it with the fingers pointing down and my wrist up as I hit it back fast opening it in a second or so between notes having forgot to open it before. Even when not forgetting, I use this method to open it so its like a reverse or upside down ridge hand.

Normal hand/fingers like this;

With your Capos Rob, they are a bit small for one and the outer edge with the covered brass shows is sharp or squared there and not rounded or softened around the edges like the ebony fingers. Can you make the fingers bigger and with rounded edges?

Now THATS one mean hand !!

I'd hate to be in the pit next to you !! One could loose ones entire scroll (if not your life ) in a split second if something went wrong whilst
trying to martial art the extension into tune !

I would opt to wear a bikers helmet or even have a sniper on standby in the wings just in case !
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Jesse View Post
The manufacturing industry in the United States is dying.
If that were completely true, this forum would not exist. But the gist of your sentence is on the money. I want to know who were the "geniuses" who decided that America could have a vibrant economy without anyone making much of anything? Did they really think we could all just swap information and loans and that this would somehow lead us down a positive economic path? (Sorry for the thread derail.)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink last derail post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
If that were completely true, this forum would not exist. But the gist of your sentence is on the money. I want to know who were the "geniuses" who decided that America could have a vibrant economy without anyone making much of anything? Did they really think we could all just swap information and loans and that this would somehow lead us down a positive economic path? (Sorry for the thread derail.)
Arnold, it's the physical labor that keeps it afloat. 'Paper pushing'!

No, let's talk about 'FINE' tuning the extension Capos. Rob mentioned his full turn measurement (1/24th of an inch) which is just a tad over .040" (1 div. by 24). That is nearly a 'G' string in height. WAY, way too crude for my taste. I can adjust my Capos with the top screw and back nut just a tweak as the leather settles or if I change gauges of strings. If I use an Original Flatchrome at almost .110, or a Flex Stark at .106 or a regular Flex 92 e/c at .102 I can tweak the tension just right. That would be 1/10th the need adjustment from .106" to .102" which is .004", not .040". HUGE difference. Turning a screw 10x what you need is NOT a fine adjustment in my book. Not even close. Sorry!

Some people just get used to what they have. Once you have seen the other side of the road, you may not go back.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation derail postings...

The Manuf. in USA Rants are to be discussed in the Bull Pit. I moved one post here to the 'Pit.

If it's not about 'Show Your Extensions', then post it where it belongs.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Rob-thanks - I have to say that this last extension that I made was the easiest because I used Rob Anzellotti capos. I don't see anything about them to complain about and they are really easy to install.They are well made with more than just turn the stop and hope for the best engineering.

No matter how good the stops, gates, or whatever you want to call the things you turn - it's hard not to look to see if it's right.

The great thing about Rob's capos is that they can be added on so easily. I would go so far to say that anyone who can use a screw driver can install the side-mounted capos. However, it would be best to let a bass luthier install them for the best result. This is my opinion and experience.

Ken- my favorite of all the extensions pictured was yours- the one that you had on the last post-I think- not much brass showing-very cool!
Which Bass was that Wayne. I have had so many of them. As far as Rob's Capos, I agree they are easy and ready made as compared to the hand made/fit Ebony Capos I get on my Extensions from Arnold and Jeff BUT, I have played Basses with those Capos as well. You get what you pay for. They are not as easy to use as far as flipping them open fast or playing them blind above your head and they do not adjust as fine as far as tension goes. You have limits there to the fixed ration of the screw threads.

If you can't get them handmade or afford them to the quality of the ones made by hand by the better Luthiers that do these then Rob's would be better than bad handmade ones. I would place them as an alternative but not as a premium choice, in my opinion.

I am about to get three or four more extensions made in the next few months. These will be on the new inspired Storioni copy bass, the Storioni (former att.) bass itself, the Mougenot by Jeff and possibly the Malvolti labeled Florentine bass I just got. I don't seem to be able to do without one now that I've been using an Extension of this grade for the last several years. I played some Jazz sets last week and even used it there. Having it and not using it seems a waste, written for or not! (don't tell the conductor, please..)
Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

[quote=wayne holmes;20746]
Quote:
Which Bass was that Wayne.

The one on the "Big Gamba" on page 2----it just has a lot of class-it looks perfectly made

hows come the pictures show up sometimes and sometimes don't?
Quote:
We finally took new pics of the Big Gamba and updated the webpage so here's some shots of the new Bollbach Chromatic Ext..

Pics don't sometimes? I have no idea why. That is an Extension from Jeff, the 2nd of 3 he has made for me so far. All 3 seem about the same master quality. The 4th is yet to come, on the Mougenot he is restoring now.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool More X's

I have posted pics of most of the extensions I've had made but since my last pic post here I have had a few more done. Two of the basses have been sold already but there's no harm in showing off their extended heads. These include a Jacquet-Gand, the Schnitzer-Smith-Riccardi commission and the original Riccardi-Storioni.

Enjoy..
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool and..

The above 3 extensions were by Arnold. Here are two more from Jeff Bollbach. One is the Mougenot and one the Neuner.

The Neuner is also a Bass I use personally for just about any type of gig but the Storioni is currently my 'classy' Orchestra bass along with the Hart depending on which way the wind blows..
Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Posting Member

Default New Extension

Hi guys. I installed another C extension and would like to show it around here. This time I benefited from earlier experimentation and I'd like to think this one is a bit more refined. No need for the bottom of the extension to be flat and straight for the thumb because the side rail takes care of that duty.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extA.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2152  Click image for larger version

Name:	extB.JPG
Views:	647
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2153  Click image for larger version

Name:	extC.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	2154  Click image for larger version

Name:	extD.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2155  
Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Side rail? Interesting. I wouldn't screw someing like that into my Scrolls but I can see the sharp gear edges can get painful. Practice Beethoven 6th's storm movement on the Extension, the individual 16ths and you will see with each bass what needs to be done. You can even buff the edges of the gears to get the sharp edges softened. One old bass gears, many of them are worn and smooth by now. My Tarr is very smooth now.

Speaking of the Tarr, the page isn't up yet but I have some pics. They are dark and I will probably re-take them or lighten them up for the page but here's a look at the Extension Arnold made for it;

The fit of the Extension and String on and around the Scroll was a challenge on this being that the face of the head is so thin. Arnold made it work both artistically and structurally as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Posting Member

The rail was there before I got there but the owner of the bass makes great use of it.

As I finished this one up I was thinking about how much work these are. Very challenging. - they have to function well and be beautiful to look at.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Smile yes..

Quote:
The rail was there before I got there but the owner of the bass makes great use of it.

As I finished this one up I was thinking about how much work these are. Very challenging. - they have to function well and be beautiful to look at.
Yes, she has to have looks and brains..
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

And now for something completely different: I understand that C extensions have to be what they are when converting a standard bass.

BUT -- they do seem unwieldy. Now, regarding new construction, or in the event a bass has had its pegbox and/or scroll mangled to the point of having to be rebuilt anyway, and there is no historical reason to simply copy what was there, has anybody designed or executed 1+3 pegbox with the extension and stops integrated into the overall design and scroll, and not just as an add-on?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

^^^ http://www.lamario.ca/extension.php?lang=english
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Nice. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Posting Member

Default new extension

I'll post one last C extension I made as I seem to be honing in on a particular look. This is installed on a Calin Wultur "Elite" bass.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext33.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2307  Click image for larger version

Name:	ext32.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2308  Click image for larger version

Name:	ext35.JPG
Views:	680
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2309  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll post one last C extension I made as I seem to be honing in on a particular look. This is installed on a Calin Wultur "Elite" bass.

Any thoughts?
Very nice looking work.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Posting Member

Thanks, Ken.