Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Junior Posting Member

Joe Spina is on a distinguished road
Default Heavy on the mids

I just got this GN the other day. Walnut over mahogany-maple ebony neck-6 pin dip switch. Lots of punch but heavy on the mids. Tried several combinations of dip switch positions and knob/amp variations however it's still middy (not muddy). Dip switches were played with as the bass tone controls were set flat. Subtle changes were heard but nothing that got me out of that midrangey clack when slapping/popping.
Slapping/popping it sounds like popping a P bass with flat wounds . Rolling off the mids and boosting the bass and treble makes it sound muted with no snap. I just want to be able to slap it (no wise cracks) at will and get it funky and go to rock or blues with a few turns of the knob.. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Ken Smith; 06-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb the sound..

Freddy Washington, Ricky Minor, Melvin Davis and many other top pros use similar model Smith basses with Smith TC Med. strings and get all the sound they need. They are on 1000s or recordings and the sound is with our Strings.

I see here that your bass doesn't have Smith Strings on it. That would be the best match for the sound here, the TCRM Med 5s.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Mids?

Ken is right, I would also suggest setting this bass up with the Smith Medium Taper Cores. Those strings are truly the best fit for a Smith bass. Also, I would return the DIP Switch settings back to either the "Original" or "New" settings as was set from the factory.

What amplification set-up are you using?

BTW - I know that bass (use to be mine) and I know the tone is there. Set-up is everything!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ken is right, I would also suggest setting this bass up with the Smith Medium Taper Cores. Those strings are truly the best fit for a Smith bass. Also, I would return the DIP Switch settings back to either the "Original" or "New" settings as was set from the factory.

What amplification set-up are you using?

BTW - I know that bass (use to be mine) and I know the tone is there. Set-up is everything!
OK then, lets set it up. What were the original dip settings. Right now I have it 1 on 2 off 3 on 4 off 5 on 6 off. Trim pot is at 50% or the same passive as active. Here my rig munus the (2) Avatar 2x10s. I also use the 6.0 shuttle with 2x10s. The strings on it are not Smith but still nickel taper core. What do you suggest.

Last edited by Joe Spina; 06-29-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Original....

The DIP Switch set-up you describe is the "New" setting. The "New" setting will give you a bit more Mid bite.

The "Original" DIP Switch set-up is as follows:

1 off ; 2 on
3 on ; 4 on
5 off ; 6 on

I run the Trim on my Smith Basses at about 75%. I also use Smith Medium Taper Cores and set the bass up to my playing style. Tried other quality strings but came back to the TCRM's.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
The DIP Switch set-up you describe is the "New" setting. The "New" setting will give you a bit more Mid bite.

The "Original" DIP Switch set-up is as follows:

1 off ; 2 on
3 on ; 4 on
5 off ; 6 on

I run the Trim on my Smith Basses at about 75%. I also use Smith Medium Taper Cores and set the bass up to my playing style. Tried other quality strings but came back to the TCRM's.

Tried the settings you suggested. Subtle changes in tone were noticed. Tried some new strings and there was a more noticable difference. Put the trim at 60%, seemed to work out good there. This bass used to be yours? Why did you give it up? For its age it looks unplayed even though I'm probably the 3rd owner or so.