Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

johnfowles is on a distinguished road
Default Advice: John Frazier, Bristol Double Bass?

Hi all,
I'm currently planning a new instrument. I asked in TB about it, but as usual no one seems to know anything or care. Here is how it's described:

English, by John Frazier, Bristol 1892. Violin shaped, arched back, strong regular figure, golden varnish. LOB 1160mm.

Anyone know anything about this maker? I just figure I've got my lovely German 3/4 and I suppose it's time I get an English bass.

I am considering this instrument as an investment.

Cheers,
John

EDIT: Sorry no pictures at the moment. I've seen it 3-4 times without remember my camera!

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb John Frazier, Bristol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Hi all,
I'm currently planning a new instrument. I asked in TB about it, but as usual no one seems to know anything or care. Here is how it's described:

English, by John Frazier, Bristol 1892. Violin shaped, arched back, strong regular figure, golden varnish. LOB 1160mm.

Anyone know anything about this maker? I just figure I've got my lovely German 3/4 and I suppose it's time I get an English bass.

I am considering this instrument as an investment.

Cheers,
John

EDIT: Sorry no pictures at the moment. I've seen it 3-4 times without remember my camera!
I will need to see DETAILED Photos of this Bass, as many as possible. Straight boring shots, full and half. I want to see it all, and all angles/sides of the Scroll as well.

Now, he is listed only in the Henley and Jalovec Dictionaries of Violin makers. He is surprisingly NOT listed in the old Morris Book or the modern books by Harvey or Plowright.

In Henley he is listed as Johannes Frazier (probably from a label seen) working from 1880-1892 as a maker of Violas. Period!

In Jalovec he is listed as J. Frazier 19th and 20th century Violin maker. Producer of various kinds and shades of Varnish. Period!

Not much to go on here. Go and see Tony Houska at the Contrabass Shoppe and show him the Bass. Pictures here wont hurt either.

If not a wreck needing thousands to restore it or if not a re-labeled German import, go for it.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

Hi Ken,
I've just emailed them to send me some pictures. They may be slightly embarrassing as I know that the top is now off and they are replacing the neck as it had been re-profiled rather strangely.

From what I can remember there were 2 labels on the inside of the bass when I saw it. I've asked for pictures of these too.

The fact he was mainly a viola maker is interesting as this bass is a violin shape and the varnish used is very golden.

I can't REALLY afford the instrument, but as I suspected if it is genuine it may be a fantastic investment.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Hi all,
I'm currently planning a new instrument. I asked in TB about it, but as usual no one seems to know anything or care.
So, how did you make it over to this site?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post

Ah Duh...

Hey, thanks for the mention...
Old 12-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Sorry yes. Finger points to Eric.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

It looks more French than English in the modeling and the Scroll and inset Linings look a bit German along with the Gears. Can you get pics of the Top and Ribs?

Two labels in one Bass? Is the 1890 the date of completion and the 1892 a repair? That is very unusual. The internal Stamped Blocks look unusual. The English are known for marking things up though. My Hart is stamped 4x inside the Back. The Gilkes is Branded outside on the Tail Block and labeled as well. The Dodd was branded under the Button but was illegible. The Mystery Bass does not have its original Button so no markings at all there. The Gilkes also has a replaced Button so we will never know if it was Branded there as well.

Cello type shoulders are not the easiest to play. I suggest you give this Bass a good test run before buying it to make sure you can play it. Do you know what the String length is?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Looks like the maker copied a French bass, as Ken alluded to above. However the neck joint is not French. The scroll is commercial German, also as Ken said. The upper bout looks very long and you should measure the stop length. It may be difficult to set this bass up with a reasonable string length.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation also..

I see several worm holes in that Scroll/Pegbox.

Check that Bass VERY carefully. Worms can make 'toast' out of wood. I have seen it. Very hungry little critters.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni
Default 1892 frazier pics

Hi everybody. I remember I too asked for the photos of this bass a few years back. I know what is the dealer you are talking about in the Uk. I still have the photos in my archives so here they are : the string length is extremely long (don't remember exactly how much). It seems to me that the high cello shoulders and the long s.lenght mean not a good investment at all !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frazier2.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	777  Click image for larger version

Name:	frazier1.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	778  Click image for larger version

Name:	frazier3.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	779  
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Can anyone recommend a very reputable seller in the UK then? I really feel like i've been had?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

I was considering a French, Mirecourt c1890, flat back with corners. I'll try and get hold of a pile of pictures and see what you think. The body size was just right. And playing the flatback seemed somewhat more comfortable than a carved back (the balance was just better on my knee).

Any comment on basses from that era and location?