Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Welcome To SmithBassForums

Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jose Bichoff is on a distinguished road
Default Changes

Ken,

Can you comment on how much the Internet and technology advances changed your business and the bass making process itself over the past years? Thank you.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Bichoff View Post
Ken,

Can you comment on how much the Internet and technology advances changed your business and the bass making process itself over the past years? Thank you.
Business, yes. Making process, I would say not directly.

Remember that when I started we didn't even have cell phones yet. I learned how to balance a checkbook before we had personal calculators.

I have on my wall a 1985 5-string, one of the last NY Basses. Other than some dimension changes and model differences we still make them the same. We do have some improved processes mostly by choice but try improving on a 200 year old or more Violin, Cello or Double Bass!

It still takes hands and patience. If anything, modern tecnology has hurt quality hand made work. Too many machines with no eyes or feelings. Just shapes cut out with no soul in them.

Business wise with the Internet I have saved a ton on advertising for one. Second, I can make updates to the world in a flash of time.
Third, what's a catalog again?..

Email in itself has improved and sped up communications faster than I would have ever imagined. When I was getting my first Fax machine around 1989 I was told that electronic mail (email) would be the next thing coming to the world and make faxing almost obsolete. I had no idea at that time what they were referring to?
Put a mini preamp under the stamp on a letter??? huh?

Anyone know what a Typewriter is? I have one for sale..

The world is a smaller place now but two things that will never go out is 'hands-on' and 'word of mouth'. A product needs to almost sell itself with some basic explanation. You can't hard sell quality. Either you understand what you are looking at or you don't.

Just like 'Electronic Mail' when I first heard the term. You couldn't sell it to me if you were paying me because I have no clue what it was.
---------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, I was moving some wood around downstairs in the storage area yesterday and within these tiger maple blocks I bought over 10 years ago I found some beautiful highly flamed Tiger blocks for the BT model as far as the length goes. So, we might make a special model soon to use this stuff.

"The BT Vintage White Tiger Elite" (TBVE). Exhibition grade Tiger Top and high figure backs, Quilted Maple Cores (12-18 year old stock), 12-18 year aged Walnut body features and sawn Walnut laminates, Ebony Head Cap, high figure Tiger/Shedua Heel cap neck-thru on back, Abalone inlaid top and side Dots and Logo (ala 25th), Maple/Shedua 5pc Neck, all the electronics of the Elite (at least) and.. The strap buttons, maybe Dual for longer strap hang (or flush on request). Basically the works on a 5pc body and neck like the first 25th models were.

Interested? Any takers?

We have longer BSR length Blocks as well but thought we would kick off this series with the older BT shape.

I would be glad to hear your comments or answer your questions on this.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

Sounds nice,

I still have some questions:
- Will this be a limited edition, if yes how many pieces approx?
- Will be this edition crafted in 4,5 & 6 strings?
- Which is the price evaluation?
- Only 5/5 or also a possibility of 7/7 ?(as in my personal opinion the 7/7 sound definition is more precise and also offers to this BT model a beautiful ageless upper class status)
- When is it supposed to happen?

Anyway in case this will be a limited edition, please put me first on your list for the no.1 of the 6 strings model.

Best regards

Last edited by Anton Hasias; 05-07-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Hasias View Post
Sounds nice,

I still have some questions:
- Will this be a limited edition, if yes how many pieces approx?
- Will be this edition crafted in 4,5 & 6 strings?
- Which is the price evaluation?
- Only 5/5 or also a possibility of 7/7 ?(as in my personal opinion the 7/7 sound definition is more precise and also offers to this BT model a beautiful ageless upper class status)
- When is it supposed to happen?

Anyway in case this will be a limited edition, please put me first on your list for the no.1 of the 6 strings model.

Best regards
- Will this be a limited edition?.. Not sure yet. We have plenty of wood..

- Will be this edition crafted in 4,5 & 6 strings?.. Yes

- Which is the price evaluation?....... Not totally sure but similar to the Black Tiger Elite which is Elite$ plus Exhibition wood$

- Only 5/5 or also a possibility of 7/7 ?... For 7/7 I would move it to the 25th model and just go all the way.

- When is it supposed to happen?... We usually do stock bass making in the Summer when we are not so busy. I will make a group of 5s first most likely.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Posting Member

Ok, got it, but, in case of choosing a 25th, it will not be a BT6 model right, or...
Best regards
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Hasias View Post
Ok, got it, but, in case of choosing a 25th, it will not be a BT6 model right, or...
Best regards
You can basically ala a carte the bass and let it fall into whatever model it's closest to.

The main thing mentioned here was these few 5a blocks I found that are too short for BSRs so I will make some special BT models with them. White Tiger is a name we have used before in Japan for similar basses sold there.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Posting Member

Ok, thanks,

Can't wait to see the result in 5s and also in 6s.(I think you will post the information as soon as you will have a planning).
For sure I was waiting for a more exclusive high flyer "limited edition" of this Vintage BT beauty model but even like this I think this is a refreshing new.
Maybe later, I hope.

For the moment, what about the typewriter? - lol!

Best regards
Old 05-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Hi Ken and friends!

Ken, your basses are one of the finest things in the world. Building 5-string, 6-string and 7-string basses with stability and robustness certainly isn't an easy task for any builder, and among them you are not a follower but a leader, as you say.
My question: have you ever tried before with less strings, let's say 3-string or even 2-strings basses? (I've already seen some before and they are tuned by 5ths, and not by 4ths a regular bass... well, you can tune the way you want, but...).
Was there any idea that you decided to abandon because it was too 'weird'?(like this one)

(I still keep my typewriter too and I think you should do the same. We never know when anybody will come with a 'USB to Old Typewriter' stuff. Maybe Mike? He's the computer geek here, isn't he? In the mean time, I keep mine oiled and ready! )

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb 2 or 3 string?

Quote:
Hi Ken and friends!

Ken, your basses are one of the finest things in the world. Building 5-string, 6-string and 7-string basses with stability and robustness certainly isn't an easy task for any builder, and among them you are not a follower but a leader, as you say.
My question: have you ever tried before with less strings, let's say 3-string or even 2-strings basses? (I've already seen some before and they are tuned by 5ths, and not by 4ths a regular bass... well, you can tune the way you want, but...).
Was there any idea that you decided to abandon because it was too 'weird'?(like this one)

(I still keep my typewriter too and I think you should do the same. We never know when anybody will come with a 'USB to Old Typewriter' stuff. Maybe Mike? He's the computer geek here, isn't he? In the mean time, I keep mine oiled and ready! )

Thanks,
In the history of the Double Bass, 3-string was quite common around the world from the 17th - 19th centuries before the 4-string slowly became the standard in the early 20th century. It went to 4-string for a reason. They needed the notes. Playing in 5ths was also tried, and then abandoned. There are a few that play in 5ths now but the normal is 4-string in 4ths. It is hard enough to play as it is now so I don't plan on making any bass with less than 4-strings and tuned in 4ths. I am a player first and I design from experience, not bad dreams..
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Junior Posting Member

Just out of curiosity, would you describe, in each 100 basses made, how many percent are 4-string, 5, 6 and 7?

Last edited by Jose Bichoff; 07-22-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Can I?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, could you describe, in each 100 basses made, how many percent are 4-string, 5, 6 and 7?
Can I or will I?

More 5s than 6s but some years it's close. About 60/40 on average.

In the last 20 years or so the 4s average from 10% on the low end to 20% at the highest.

The 7s number only 49 to date in total. That is less than 3 a year since we made the first so that model is not in the mix. We make them when we have orders. We only make the 7s in the Elite version.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Would you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Can I or will I?
Thanks for correcting me
Unlike wine or your basses, it seems that my English is not improving over time my bad
Hope you understand
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool oh?

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me
Unlike wine or your basses, it seems that my English is not improving over time my bad
Hope you understand
It wasn't a correction of your wording. I meant that to answer you I have to go back and count them to figure this it. It so happens that earlier today I counted the last 12 months of sales for next years projections and had it handy on my desk. The 7s I have a list of all by themselves. If not I would have answered 10/50/38/2% from 4 to 7 and left it at that. I just got back from a gig and came in to drop off my bass so I am quite tired and have to get back in early tomorrow. It's now or whenever with an answer like that..
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question 2 over 3...

Ken,

What was your reasoning behind the 2 over 3 peg-head design?

Tim B.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb humm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ken,

What was your reasoning behind the 2 over 3 peg-head design?

Tim B.
In my mind, it comes from double basses starting sometime in the 19th century. The lower gears moved up a slot and the higher ones down. I see this from France a lot and partly from Germany. The theory I believe is that the thicker or thickest strings needs more after-length and decreased break-over angle.

German examples both ways;

French examples both ways;

Also, I had some requests for the reverse gears on the 5s from my Distributor in Japan and then put it on the 25th models. Soon after I made it standard. You can still order a bass with the older 3/2 configuration.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Interesting...

Interesting. With the 2/3, do you think there is a better distribution of tension across the nut and neck/fretboard?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Interesting. With the 2/3, do you think there is a better distribution of tension across the nut and neck/fretboard to the bridge?
I don't know. I never measured it.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ben Rose is on a distinguished road

How have neck shapes changed over the years in terms of spacing and profile (if at all)?

Also, your basses have a very unique tone. What influenced your pursuit of this sound? Yes, they are capable of a wide variety of sounds, but they always sound like a Smith bass.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rose View Post
How have neck shapes changed over the years in terms of spacing and profile (if at all)?

Also, your basses have a very unique tone. What influenced your pursuit of this sound? Yes, they are capable of a wide variety of sounds, but they always sound like a Smith bass.
How have neck shapes changed over the years in terms of spacing and profile (if at all)?.. Slightly as you can see if you look at basses 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years old. Sometimes it's the wood, the carver, the design. Too broad of a question to really answers because of the variables involved. No two necks are 100% alike. They are made by hand. Spacing however is done with the Nut and Bridge. That stays the same but different periods in the beggining we had somewhat of a learning curve to go through.

What influenced your pursuit of this sound?.. Playing a 300 year old Italian Bass that was superior in its class inspired me to find its mate in an Electric bass. I ended up starting this company to do so. The rest is history.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Posting Member

Roy Diza is on a distinguished road

Compliments to Ken for making this thread a thoroughly enjoyable read. You pretty much covered all the facts and myths between yourself and Mr. Fodera. I would like to add that your basses were and still is basses of my dreams.
Having only being able to afford second hand beauties, which are a 1997 BSR6P and a 2002 BSR5EG, I hope to someday own one that would be of my specification with your guidance of course.
You're truly one of the bass building pioneers that has influence many of your contemporary both old school and new. Of all the builders, who of them would you respect the most, both professionally and personally?

I'm much honored to have played your masterpieces through my years of playing bass and I wish you continued success.